FUEL FILTER

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

FUEL FILTER

Post by stevenlizuk »

FELLOW CITROEN SUFFERERS
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO DRAIN THE FUEL FROM THE FILTER HOUSING OF MY 2.1TD AS MY HAYNES MANUAL ISNT VERY CLEAR.
HAVE TRIED UNSCREWING THE DRAIN ON THE FRONT BUT NO FUEL CAME OUT BUT WHEN I DRAINED THE WATER FOM THE CANISTER I HAD TO SQUEEZE THE PRIMING PUMP TO FORCE THE WATER OUT.
HOW DO I EMPTY THE FUEL OUT?
ANY HELP APPRECIATED.
STEVE
steve kerr
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Steve - There's a little plastic screw on the bottom left side, to the rear of the housing. You'll need pliers to turn it. The fuel won't freely run out because of the vacuum. If you don't wamt to pump it, loosen the four screws on the top. In three and a half years of ownership I've still got to find a drop of water in there.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

thanks
saw that but haynes manual didnt mention it (clear as mud as usual)
cheers again
steve
steve kerr
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

Hi folks,
Much likewise, changed mine on the 1.9td last weekend and as far as I could work out, as John rightly says, you need to loosen the housing lid to drain it from the bleed screw without pumping - make sure you wrap a rag round the housing first as I had some spillage (although this might have been impatience waiting for the fuel to drain!). Same with the water - in two years I've never found any!!
Chris
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

hi all
thanks for advice.
gave up on the white bleed valve at the side of the filter housing and used a hose on the "water" outlet. unscrewed that a few turns and then loosened the top bolts to allow air flow and housing drained beutifully without spilling a drop.
steve kerr