Timing???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

Timing???

Post by ohms69 »

I have just got back from purchasing a replacement BX estate, which I must say I am, on the whole very pleased with. Mechanically the car is the best I have driven, with all controls feeling very tight, and superb road manners[8D]
There is however a bit of a problem...
The car is very down on power, infact it's as slow as a non-turbo car. It has real difficulty pulling beyond 75mph, and has absolutely no chance of cracking more than 95 downhill. It feels breathless at the top end, and is returning unbelievably poor MPG. In my opinion the engine is also very tappety.
It was explained to me when I bought the car that the fuel pump had been reconditioned, and had possibly not been adjusted accordingly to suit the performance of the forced induction engine.
Having played about with boost and max fuelling settings I know only too well that these things will of course effect performance and are also easily adjusted...So i bought the car!!
On the journey home I realsied something above and beyong a lean mixture was causing the obvious lack of power and have a hunch...
Is it at all possible that whoever reconditioned the fuel pump cocked up the timing when refitting the cambelt?
Would the engine even run with the timing out?????[xx(]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It sounds like its too far advanced with the tappety noise, the diesel knock sounds like this when injection takes place too soon.
It will run with a tooth and possibly even two out in either direction but would run like a pig, its more likely to be the pumps timing position thats out rather than the pulleys, once its been off and meddled with like this it has to be clocked back on to set the timing.
The engine could be a mish mash of turbo and non turbo parts giving rise to the poor performance.
Dave
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I'd check out the ID number to see if the injection pump is the original one specified (check it was a proper recon). Something's certainly out of kilter, as a 1.9 non-turbo will pull well from 70. I owned a TXD normally-aspirated car with 230k that had similar symptoms - very gutless and tappety: I suspected that the valve clearances needed checking but never got round to it as the car was only a short-term measure. However, this returned normal mpg despite the extreme sluggishness.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Refit the cambelt and see what happens, I have a spare Rotodeisel turbo fuel pump if needed.
Stewart
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

To bew fair, it's about due a cambelt replacement.
Does anybody in or around the shropshire area fancy giving it a go? I swore I'd never do another cambelt after cocking the timing up last time...I want it right and don't feel confident enough to undertake this pig of a job again.
I'll pay (and help) obviously!![:)]
Name your price.[;)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

At Wrexham, might be available next week.
Stewart
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Your help would be greatly appreciated mate.[;)][:D]
My email is: brynholmes@blueyonder.co.uk
Look forward to hearing from you.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The bambelt change is difficult to cock up as long as you have the locking kit, (and assuming everything is in the right position to start with.......)- you can make one up as per haynes diesel engine manual, or buy the proper thing for about a tenner from a spares shop-ask for it for a Pug 405, that way they won't say it doesn't exist. the franklin kit is the one I use, with 3 8mm bolts with knurled ends, and a bendy bar thing to lock the flywheel. The Sealey one is horrendously expensive.
The job is a lot more risky if you just try to use tippex marks.