Hydraulic rinsing stuff

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

Hydraulic rinsing stuff

Post by Rob Marshall »

HI!
Am having to change the LHM in my BX this summer. Goin to stick the Citroen rinsing agent in (some funny french name!) for a bit.
The problem is that I am not using the car very much at the mo as Im am running the Dolomite over the Summer so the Citroen can be retired for a bit for some care & attention, incl a MAJOR service.
How long can I keep the rinsing agent in the hydraulic system. WOuld it cause any problems if left in for 6 months? What about teh mileage limit?
Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rob
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Hydraflush/Hydracleanse is supposed to remain in the system for 1000 miles.
As far as I am aware, it is just LHM with some detergents / disperants in it to pick up dirt and hold it in suspension. I'm not sure what effect you get from leaving it in too long, worst case it could clean dirt away from seals meaning that you end up with leaks (i.e. like switching an old engine to synthetic oils). I leaving it in suspect it will cause no problems.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

so would leaving the fluid in for too long cause damage???
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Apparently not; it's the mileage which is the limiting factor (unless it looks like black tar before then..)
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

OK; I presume it is suppose to change colour. Black would not be it eating seals for example....
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

No; collecting cr@p out of the system! if it doesn't change colour (rare) then your system is already clean!
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

O I C!!! does it go sorta grey in between.
The LHM in my car has been in for 2 years, 22,000 miles ish so is due for a change between now & next year.
The LHM in my car is yellow!! My GSA's LHM went the same colour when it was old; but the LHM doesn't power the steering unlike the BX!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I think the intermediate colour is brown, but whatever dirty orange is! Yellow LHM (not neon green) sounds older than 2 years/22k. When you empty and refil with Hydraflush, don't forget to bleed the dead ends as well (brakes) until the orange stuff comes out. AndersDK is well versed in the stuff; he may be able to point you to a post or two about it.