ZX crazy indicator relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gazraa
My Cars:

ZX crazy indicator relay

Post by gazraa »

For a while now my indicator relay on my '96 ZX Elation 1.4i has been going bonkers at random times, and more recently the passenger side indicators flash too fast.
I can stop the relay from going mad by just moving the indicator stalk a little bit, but i'm thinking the fast indicator is probably a bad earth... or they are both the result of the same problem. Could the indicator stalk be the fault?
i have tried a new relay and that didn't stop it, and all bulbs are ok.
I'm not particularly electrically minded when it comes to cars, but i'm alright with a set of spanners. Can someone suggest any solutions or ways to track down the problem?
My MOT is due in a week or so, so I need to get this problem sorted.... and for as little cash outlay as possible [V]
gazraa
My Cars:

Post by gazraa »

ah.. someone with a similar problem
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... =indicator
sorry should have searched more thoroughly... not a good way to start my first post!
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

I'd say the switch in the stalk isn't making good contact until you move it slightly, which cures the trouble. If contact is bad, you'd have high resistance to the bulbs which would give similar effects to those of having a bulb missing (remaining bulb/s flash rapidly).
gazraa
My Cars:

Post by gazraa »

exactly what i thought ;)
i'll pick up a new stalk at the weekend and give it a go. that seems to be the general solution.
gazraa
My Cars:

Post by gazraa »

all sorted now, swapped the switch (what an effort that was) and replaced the bulb. All works fine..... should get through it's MOT now :)