head skimming

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pikey

head skimming

Post by pikey »

Will I need to remove the camshaft and valves to get the head skimmed from a xantia 2.0 8v?
I think it is most likely to enable the machinist to set up. But dont want to disturb the cam/valve setup unless I have to.
Also GSF only supply 1 size of gasket for this model, Haynes suggest a thicker one if the head has been skimmed, what approach should I take as this may have reprocussions for compression/valve setup.
Any help would be great.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Your head could be skimmed with the valve gear in place... BUT.. As the usual way to do it is on a surface grinder, the process will produce fine particles of carborundum dust, i.e. tiny bits of the grinding wheel come off during machining. These tiny bits will get washed into your valve guides, springs, under the valve seating, etc etc by the coolant used, and it would be very hard to be certain you had washed-air/blasted them all out when the job was finished. Soo - is it worth the risk? Personally I would be against doing it that way..
As for changing the compression ratio, I seriously doubt that it would be necessary to remove that amount of material in order to get your head flat again!!