Cambelt change 1.7 XUD engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stinkwheel

Cambelt change 1.7 XUD engine

Post by Stinkwheel »

Hi guys and gals,
OK visa with 1.7 XUD engine, cambelt change needed soon. How big a job are we talking?
All advice, easy methods etc greatly appreciated.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sadly there's no easy method, but the 1.7 in a Visa, without all the turbo piping getting in the way, and clip on covers, should be a pretty straightforward 2 - 3 hours (I guess lack of room between the engine and chassis rail is going to be the biggest problem). Crack the crankshaft pulley bolt while the engine is hot (22m). Closely inspect the water pump, tensioner and idle roller for wear, and replace if at all suspect. Oh, and you need a deep 16mm socket to get the engine mount nuts off (I have a spark plug spanner that is ideal for this). Use a torque wrench as the engine mounts are not that tight, and if you over do it you might pull the studs out. Note carefully the tightening sequence for the crankshaft pulley bolt - it's 'kin tight, and you don't want it to come undone. If it's the second (or third, or fourth) change it might be wise to replace the bolt - petty cheap, and it apparently comes with new thread lock.
Enjoy[8)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Oilyspanner alias Stewart, said that if you take the plastic guards off from around the pulley, you dont need to take the pulley off in order to get the belt off. :-)
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thats interesting to know, maybe have to explore that one. Cheers guys.