Scuffed Alloy Wheels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

Scuffed Alloy Wheels

Post by Nikolaymk »

Guys,
One of my alloys is pretty badly scuffed. I wasw wondering is there spray, paint or another easy fix that I could use.
Cheers
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Apparently you can get an alloy filler; something like Chemical Metal or JB Weld, I think. Normal spray cans can be used quite well after rubbing down; just apply lots and lots of thin coats to build up the paint, and check for rection between the old paint/brake dust and the new paint (try a primer first?)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

With alloy wheels I found it was better to get them shot blasted / properly cleaned and properly painted than to try with a spray can. Powder coating is my prefered means of painting.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I think that one of those "dents-a-way" or is it "scratch-a-way" companies do alloy refurbs on site if they're only scratched.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You will be painting onto alloy and therefore an etch primer should be used to prevent peeling (if you are lucky!)
I have seen a sophisticated kit (not cheap) with just about everything you need somewhere - probably Halfords.
jeremy
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

The best way is to get them stripped, blasted and powder coated as Kowalski says. As a DIY clean-up type operation though, an etch primer and spray cans can be used. The finish won't be superb, though. Prices for pforessional refinishing vary from £20-100 per wheel, depepnding upon size, pattern, and their general state.