HDI sinking problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob H S

HDI sinking problems

Post by Rob H S »

Can anybody help. My hdi xantia is sinking at the front down to it,s bottom of the suspension travel.It reminds me of my old 1994 xantia which was pre-sink days.It does this over a period of hours if left and when started comes back to its normal ride height.There are no visible leaks and no loss of fluid from the resevoir.The car is 2000 reg and covered 32000.Anybody help
Thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Rob,
Does it have hydractive suspension? If so, apparently there is an O-ring inside the hydractive block which can fail and cause the suspension to sink - although this is usually rather rapid (like 30s or so!).
More likely is that the anti-sink valve has failed, and is making the car act just like your old non-anti-sink car. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that repair is by replacement[:D].
TBH I have seen quite a few more modern anti-sinkers with their noses on the floor, but very few of the older (N/P plate) cars, which makes me wonder if the design was changed to one more likley to generate spares sales....[:o)]
Rob H S

Post by Rob H S »

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply.No it doesn't have hydractive suspension it is the hdi sx 110 hatchback model. I thought it might be the anti-sink valve but didn't want to tackle it without a few ideas first. [?]
tonka

Post by tonka »

Is your pressure bleed valve tight, have the hydrolic filters been changed recently and hence the screw adjusted to release the pressure.?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Loose bleed screw won't make it sink, if it's got anti-sink - it will just hasten the point at which the anti-sink valve closes.
I did have another thought though - it could be a leaking strut - easy way to test this would be to pull off the rubber vent hose and then leave it overnight (on someone else's drive[}:)]) - a large patch of LHM indicates an internal leak - note that they will leak some fluid if it goes right down.
My money is still on the anti-sink valve though. Perhaps running hydraflush might sort it?