AX head oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Steve the grease

AX head oil leak

Post by Steve the grease »

Many small petrol AX's suffer from oil leakage from the head joint close to where the altenator is . Presumably this is leakage from the camshaft pressure oil supply. Has anyone sucessfully cured this leak , either with silicone , or by nipping up the head bolts in the area, or is it replace head gasket time ( engine runs perfectly, just leaks oil)
thanks
steve the grease
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Common problem with the tu petrol engines. As long as your cambelt hasnt got any oil on it and there isnt any oil in the coolant or vice versa i wouldnt worry about it. Even if u change the head gasket the leak will be back within a year as I found with my zx 1.4i. So if its running okay leave it alone.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

More harm than good. I have found that to be the case taking those damn heads off alloy blocks. On the BX I went through 3 engine blocks with the 4th one being OK trying to get those head bolts back in and not ripping the threads out. This was back when I was in uni so I asked a PhD in metallic materials why he thought this kept happening and he juust said thats what alluminium alloys are like.
Having said that the AX was OK first time. It seems to me you get two stabs at it before they give up :)
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Cheers for that. I dont think my head will be coming off again even though ive got a bit of oil in the coolant. the fact that the engines running okay supports my statement.