Quick question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jez

Quick question

Post by Jez »

On being stuck in traffic and quick acceleration the temp. gauge can go up to just under 90. I have to stick the fans on to bring it down. I look where you put the water/coolant and somedays it really drops and other days it stays. Any help appreciated.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Jez
Had similar symptoms on both current Xantias especially my 2.1TD. On the first car it was sortly after we had bought it. The radiator had failed and the previous owner had stuck in one of these radweld products to stop the leak, I suspect it kept partially failing and then resealing until it finally gave up all together. The 2.1 was more like what you described, after being stuck in traffic and the temp rising to 90+ the coolant level warning light would come on later that day. After topping up it would be fine, sometimes for several days until the next time I sat in a jam. If was due to a failing rad, I can only assume that the increased temp increased the pressure slightly forcing coolant out of the radiator. When running a just below 90 which is normal there was no sign of a leak. Over the last 3 months or so it has got worse until finally last week I could see where it was leaking from. New rad fitted and so far no loss following a sit in a jam at the weekend.