AX pulling back problem..?!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

AX pulling back problem..?!

Post by cheesesliceking »

hello,
My AX GT has developed a strange problem, on motorways @ aorund 70-80 mph the car seems to lose speed briefly for a second then come back, it kind of feels like its being pulled back, than when you press the go pedal it feels to be ok, but then a few seconds later it will do it again. it seems ot only do it around 70-80 over 80 it seems ok, but its an AX so staying over 80 for a large amount of time isnt fun..[:I]
Does anyone have any ideas? i've check all the ignition leads & the plugs are pretty much brand new.
Also, i've been getting a sickening nocking from the left front wheel that sounds like a driveshaft is about to let go... anyone think there might be a link ?[B)]
Cheers!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi csk [:)]
- I dont think the 2 problems are connected, unless the noise tends to get severe when the car sags in speed.
Your GT would have a pretty standard fuel pump & carburettor setup, meaning it's the good old system with wellknown problem types.
My first try would be looking for any restriction in the fuel supply, as an ignition fault tends to come in as lumpy driving at speeds.
Meaning : try the tank ventilation, by blowing back in the fuel lines at carb/pump, with a weak pressure (mouth or handpump !). It should be easy to hear the air bubbling out in the tank, and no resistance should build up.
Another common - and very annoying - problem, is the float valve in the carb sticking intermittently, thus at times during speed leaning the carb. This can in fact happen at certain speed (engine rpm), as it's somewhat dependant on engine vibration, which may loosen up a sticking float valve at certain speeds.
Apart from that, it could be the common problem of dirt in the float chamber, flowing around and partly blocking the jets, or even water ghosting in with problems.
Note you may have kind of the "opposite" problem to restrictions : a leak in the fuel lines taking in air.
Vapour locks caused by a fuel line too close to hot engine parts is an issue as well.
You better get the transmission noise problemn sorted out. If it IS the CV joint, then it tends to very suddenly leave you down in the middle of nowhere. The axle may indeed snap.