Xantia/ evil garage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonka

Xantia/ evil garage

Post by tonka »

I urgently require assisstance could anyone help.
My 1.9td 2000 plate Xantia
I have just purchased the car and have a few problems. First pump grumbles when more than half a turn of steering wheel, is this normal.
[:(][:(]
I have a whine on gearbox which the garage tells me is normal (at only 45000 miles I think not?)
Also after 40 miles the steering becomes notchy, the brakes feel odd and when I brake hard the car nose dives, the car is still under warrenty with garage but they are trying to say this is normal.
I am new to citroen but this can not be normal can it???????
At present I am considering forking out for an RAC check. Do you think I could beat the manager to death with independant report.[}:)]
Please help me!![V][V]
Kered

Post by Kered »

I had a 95 1.9TD from new and recently changed to a 2000 HDi.
In neither case were there any of the problems that you quote.
If I was in your shoes I would seriously consider an RAC or AA check.
Derek
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Depends what you mean by grumble, the power steering section of the pump has a relief valve in it to vent the pressure when the steering is hard at full lock, this causes a loud hissing noise though not a grumble and in any event not untill full lock is reached.
Check the LHM oil level, the float indicator should be at least between the two rings when the suspension is on its highest setting, if the float position is low with suspenson at normal then air could be getting into the pump.
Gearboxes on most of these cars do have a feint oscilating type of whine, but not loud or too intrusive.
The brakes and steering should not feel any different at any time while being driven unless a fault or low oil level exists.
How much does it nose dive, the standard Citroen hydro pnumatic suspension does not prevent this happening, nor will the standard suspension of any normal car, engineers can counter its affect somewhat with anti dive geometry but not totaly prevent it, plus the rear end will rise which can't be countered at all during heavy braking.
Do some of your own checks and research first, especially if you have not got this car from a recognised Citroen dealer as they wont know jack sh!t about it.
Dave
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Under warranty? take it back to either where you bought it from or to another garge that will honour the warranty. Example if it's a RAC warranty any dealer who uses the RAC scheme will or should deal with it. But it does make sence having an independant report to give the dealer if he's being funny. Also remeber these key phrase's when dealing with car dealers, "have trading standards ever been to see you about your trading?" or you can use the old classic" watch dog would like to talk to you!" or my personal favourite "you'll be hearing from my solicitos & I'll see you in court" always works for me[:D]. And if you're realy getting no where take the wife, girlfriend or mother and or kids for the female argument and the crying child approach. But stick to your guns and don't be fobbed off with all the dealer blah! if it don't feel rite then it probably aint.
tonka

Post by tonka »

Many thanks for info it is a Citroen dealer (Autoworld Chesterfield). I think they are trying to scr#w me.
LHM fluid level checked. good.
The brake effect changes, with same pressure at pedal the resulting braking effect fluctuates, more-less -more# (nose dives at#). Seems like a pressure drop?
The faults only occur after 30-40 miles. could it be a tired pump and as the fluid gets warmer I loose pressure.
Thank you for reply much appreciated (Dave/Kered)
Another problem was a fast idle fault which they said they fixed which now work in reverse. Slow idle cold start, fast idle after 90 sec all the time till cold start again.
Could the arm on the pump b inverted?
I am contacting a local Independant Citroen repair garage, but I am thinking that RAC check will have more weight with Dealer.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Well worth the expense for an AA/RAC checkm, It carries it a lot of clout when complaining even though it's a bit expensive, they really do go to town[^] and provide decent back up if it goes further.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tonka</i>

Another problem was a fast idle fault which they said they fixed which now work in reverse. Slow idle cold start, fast idle after 90 sec all the time till cold start again.
Could the arm on the pump b inverted?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This could happen if the vaccuum hoses on the idle electrovalve were connected incorrectly, perhaps the electrovalve was replaced and the pipes on it connected incorrectly.
Xantiargh
My Cars:

Post by Xantiargh »

I had the same problems with braking, never really worked out if it was just a case of getting used to the car, but it did seem much improved after changed the accumulator sphere.
You can check the state of the sphere by listening to how often it clicks while engine is running. Can't remember the specifics but a search in this forum should pull up the info you need.
Or someone more useful will conme along...
Good luck.