Xantia dash ligh problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

birdman690

Xantia dash ligh problem

Post by birdman690 »

Hi all. Got a m reg xantia 1.9d, and a dash light has come on. Its on the top bank on the right hand side of the speedo head, and looks a bit like a fuel filter bowl with half of it blacked out. Its an amber lamp. Should I worry?
Cheers
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

I'm a petrol-head rather than diesel, but isn't that the "water in fuel filter" light?
Jamie
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I think you're right Jamie.
You should find a single wire running to the filter, which would be the warning lamp sensor switch, which provides earth for the lamp.
Simply try unplug the wire to check the lamp extinguish -
- which means try drain the filter, by any means provided on the filter.
In some cases this warning will stay on whatever you try, then you may simply leave the wire unconnected, to get rid of this warning lamp. Any water problem in the fuel will show up anyway, with bad engine running/starting troubles.
birdman690

Post by birdman690 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

I think you're right Jamie.
You should find a single wire running to the filter, which would be the warning lamp sensor switch, which provides earth for the lamp.
Simply try unplug the wire to check the lamp extinguish -
- which means try drain the filter, by any means provided on the filter.
In some cases this warning will stay on whatever you try, then you may simply leave the wire unconnected, to get rid of this warning lamp. Any water problem in the fuel will show up anyway, with bad engine running/starting troubles.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[:)]Cheers guys will do....