Airbag Nearly Sorted!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steveallmond

Airbag Nearly Sorted!!!

Post by steveallmond »

Hi All,
In attempt to stop my airbag light constantly flashing on my Saxo VTR, I re-soldered the wires under the front seats. It hasn't worked and the light is still flashing. Is there a reset switch or someway to reset the system?
Steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmmm...
I'm a bit scared with airbag systems, dont like to fool people being knocked down inside their own car - by their own car ... [:I]
So really, I'm on thin ice here [:o)]
My best bet is, that the controlling electronics have sensed a missing circuit continuity to any of the components, then setting off the light to warn you.
Hope someone else onboard here have accurate info on this, as I'd tend to leave this problem to your dealer ...
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

had a similar problem with xantia i used to have.
i traced the fault to a poor/dirty connector on the main impact/controller unit. the orange connector even though, held in by a good locking plug was oxidized - switch cleaner sorted the problem.
as usual play with batt disconnected.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

you shouldnt have to 'reset' the system once a short/open circut is corrected the light should go out by itself (although a fault code is still stored in the ecu).
if you are sure the connectors under the seats have been done correctly the next thing i would look at is the rotary controll ring behind the steering wheel,this allows a contact to be made to the airbag wiring but alows the wheel to turn,remove the airbag & check that is actually plugged in,if ok remove the covers around the steering column,the plug for this control ring should be next to the ignition switch wiring,its either a brown or orange 2pin plug with orange wiring going to it,disconect this plug & the airbag plug & check for continuity along the wiring through this ring if it is open circut then it is faulty.THE RING MUST NOT BE CONNECTED TO THE AIRBAG CIRCUT OR AIRBAGS/PRE-TENSIONERS IN ANY WAY WHILST CHECKING WITH AN OHMETER.IF AN OHMETER IS PLACED ACROSS A PYROTECHNIC COMPONENT IT WILL DETONATE IT.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello!
Im presuming that you know the history of the car and that it has not been in an accicdent?
If an air bag or pre-tensioner has been deployed then that item has to be replaced as well as the air bag ecu and the ecu then needs to be programmed to tell it whether it has a passenger air bag ecu or not.
Also check the seat belt buckles. If they have gone short and hard and the outer casing is all rippled, then that means that pre-tensioner has gone off.
I would not try an ohms meter on anything on the air bag circuit unless i had the correct wiring diagram and all pre-tensioners and airbags disconnected.
It may well be better to get the faults read.
Good luck[;)]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by monkeyman</i>

Hello!
Im presuming that you know the history of the car and that it has not been in an accicdent?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
now theres a thought.
yes,if not 100% confident or dont understand the airbag circut then dont put an ohmeter anywhere near it.