ZX exhuast exit.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

ZX exhuast exit.

Post by James.UK »

Due to the exhaust pipe taking a 90 degree turn in a downword direction and thus causing a large cloud of dust in the lane at the rear of our terraced houses, I have just had my exhaust altered, i.e. made straight, and I had to cut an exit hole in the rear panel under the bumper for it to fit through. [8)]
I dont want to make peoples washing dirty or to get dust in the food when they eat in their gardens. [:I] So for future ref, when replacing again.. Does anyone know if (A) the ZX Volcane rear exhaust section would fit and, (B) does any other ZX have the rearmost section exiting at the rear rather than bending to face downwards?
This wasn't a problem untill recently when people decided to put hardcore down the lane and buried the grass that was there before. [:0]
Jon

Post by Jon »

James
The only ones with straight exit are Volcane and Furio, plus any Turbo Diesels. Perhaps the rear box from ZX Aura/Advantage TD would suit, a straight exit with normal tailpipe rather than the oval embelisher of the Volcane/Furio (would mean cutting larger hole in bumper otherwise.)
Worth mentioning that these rear silencers are of the larger, squarish shape (also more expensive) than the standard oval silencer/kinked tailpipe normal 19D type.
If your rear silencer is sound, maybe weld a straight pipe exit to it?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Jon, and thanks for the info.
I did what you suggest earlier today, [^] I cut the bend off, made an arch in the back bottom plate and got a straight bit welded on in its place. It looks fine, but I dont want to have to -saw the pipe off - weld a new bit on - again on the Aura in a few months time, hence my questions. [:D]
It does sound as though I can use the TD versions of the Aura and Avantage so thats great.. [^]Thanks again for the information.. [:)]
I marked where the hole had to be before I cut the pipe off as it can be seen at a horizontal level and makes marking the right position easy.. On reflection it would have been easier to have taken the back section off and done the job on the bench once I had marked the hole out, a case of <i>'wish I had thought of that earlier</i>' huh.. [:I] lol.. But my knuckles will prob stop bleeding soon. [:D]
BTW anyone wanting to cut a shaped hole in the lower part of their bumper bit for any reason, the little hand-held belt sander used in most garages for odds n sod jobs is ideal for it, as it leaves a very neatly finished edge.. [:)]
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

on my old ZX TD i fitted a back box off a Volcane, with the oval chrom end tip, made a good join by welding it, had no trouble fitting it i.e. mountings etc