Xantia 1.9TD Hot Brakes!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walshy
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Hot Brakes!!

Post by walshy »

I've renewed the front brake pads (Citroen originals and used copperslip) and front discs. Pistons move correctly. However, when I brake, there is a very loud squeal from the brakes, and they are very hot. Brake performance is fine. The car's covered over 120,000 miles. I thought wheel bearings, calipers? Am I missing something? Anyone got any ideas? Many thanks. Pete
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

first thing, brakes get very hot anyway, when you say this do you think they are to hot.
second, normaly this is a sign of one of the pads getting stuck in the sliders.
even if you use copperslip the can still get stuck, what were they like when you put the pad in.(nice and roomie or a bit tight)
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

There was research going on in my uni into brake squeal when I was there. Its a problem that is not easily solved and is quite normal. The best solution they could come up with is to make the calipers a much different wieght to the discs. The work was being funded by many auto manufacturers as people kept bringing their new cars back reporting brake faults! Its just inevitable there will be some vibrations setup in such a stiff system.
Unless your brakes are that hot they fade they are not too hot. When brakes are to hot they feel quite nice because they are very constant. When your brakes are cold and you brake they heat up and expand thus increasing the braking force applied without you even pressing harder. This is why race cars lock wheels when their brakes are cold because the temperatures flare up and expand the discs. You can tell if your brakes are too hot < on a road car > because you feel the need to press harder at the end of braking rather than press less. To experience this feeling you could purposefully overheat you brakes by driving with you left foot gently on the brakes for half a mile although beware this could leave you with very little stopping force.