xantia 2.0 8v cylinder head tools

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pikey

xantia 2.0 8v cylinder head tools

Post by pikey »

Can anyone tell me what tools are required to change the head gasket.
Looks like some large torx bits required for engine mounts and head bolts.
Also any helpful tips to make the job run smoother would be appreciated.
Had a slight oil leak from behind right hand engine mount for some time, now it sounds as though the engine is blowing from same area, very noisey and rough running. Assuming head gasket although no water in oil, but cannot see behind engine mount.
thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pikey -
Unless your 2.0 8v petrol at some time has been severely overheated, I believe your headgasket is OK.
Most sure sign of a positively blown h/g, is overpressure bubbling up from coolant filler neck.
In the area of the RH engine mount, you have the cam axle oil seal, which is prone to leak at higher mileage. It's a common wear item on all engines. The oil will seep down over the end of the engine, sometimes giving the impression the h/g is leaking.
The cam axle and crank axle oil seals are common parts to replace every 3.rd cambelt replacement together with waterpump and belt tensioner/idler wheels.
The Torx bit would be size35.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Are you sure Anders? I would think that Torx is a T55.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

[:I][B)][:I][B)][:I]
I'm defo NOT sure - I mistyped it [:0]
It's Torx 55 !!!!
- THANKS Tom [:X][^]
pikey

Post by pikey »

Thanks chaps,
I have had my suspicion on the camshaft oils seal for a long time hence the reluctance to go for the head gasket, however after a good clean, it still is dry around the seal but drops of oil forming under the engine mount.
The car has just reached 75k, I changed the cam belt last year when I noticed the oil leak, then after on my drive after that.
New exhaust fitted last week, initially thought It was the exhaust blown, but further investigation noted blowing noise comming from head gasket/engine mount. Not a great believer in coincidences, could the new exhaust pushed the gasket over the top.I noticed the boxes on the new exhaust are much smaller than the original.
I'll check the coolant for bubbling later.
How big is the replacement oil seal job anyway?
cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pikey,
- just making sure we're talking the same thing :
the top engine cover over the valve gear and cam shaft, known as the rocker cover, also have a gasket, prone to massive oil leaks. Some blow noise can be heard from this if larger leaks.
But nothing to do with the cylinder head gasket.
I seriously doubt you'd have ANY blowing noise from a blown h/g, not having other major symptoms too.
If you're certain you can hear some blow-by noise from your engine, then suspect exhaust manifold gasket, or a blow hole in downpipe.
If this noise has become appearant after an exhaust change, I'd suspect the downpipe joint for leaks.
It does not sound right that your new damper boxes are smaller than the old ones, I suspect you better investigate further on this.
Replacing the cam oil seal is almost exactly the same job as replacing the cambelt, except you further have to remove the camgear, to access the oil seal behind. Worst part is to avoid scratching the axle seal face, when removing old seal. Use a special purpose hooked tool for removing the old seal.