Xantia sloshing water....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Xantia sloshing water....

Post by paranoid »

Doh...... just pulled off in the Xantia and got the sound of rushing water from the passenger side!!!!! All the carpets are dry and the inlet to the heater is clear, I thought i heard this noise a couple off nights ago but it went away after a few sharp bursts of speed, the same happened tonight after a couple of minutes it went.
It sounds like the door or sill is full of water but all drain holes are clear, I have had the air-con on a lot recently could this have anything to do with it??
Its really freaked me out, thought the h/matrix had burst!![V]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I would check that the drain pipe from the evaporator is clear if I were you. The easiest way is to get under the (well supported) car. Just below where the pollen filter is you should find a rubber pipe dangling down. Push a piece of thin plastic or wire up this and see if you get wet!
Richard
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thats the sort of area its coming from[:)]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

The pollen filter inside on mine? Where about am I looking?
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

At the front of the passenger footwell (if RH drive car) under the dashbaord is a piece of carpet. Above this is the air inlet, pollen filter and air-con evaporator. The evaporator makes the incoming air cold. This 'drops out' the moisture in the air which should then fall down the tube.
If you have used the air-con a lot and have not noticed a puddle of water under the car when you have been parked then this tube may well be blocked.
Richard
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Got the carpet under the dash out had a good look round with torches etc but still can't see no hose/tube.
Where does the end come out? had a good look round engine bay can't see anything PLEASE HELP
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Got it....[^] Was looking for a small pipe, I was thicker and shorter and in a totally different area.. Oh well, unblocked it and we now a large puddle on the floor SUCCESS[:D]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Glad to be of help. Hope that the large puddle was on the floor and not on you.
I think that your sucess got the better of your spelling unless you really are 'thicker and shorter'[?]
Richard
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Well the spelling was due to the ice cold water that went down my arm into my armpit, I was[:0] all of a shiver[:D][:D]
Found the pipe and pulled out a big plug of fluff type stuff from a long way up it, looked like it had been there a long time, water trickles nicely from it now. When I changed the pollen filter about 3 months ago it was solid with dirt and debris that was the same colour.
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

Hello all,
Could you be more specific about where the pipe was? Mine hasn't been dripping for some time, though it used to, so I think I have a similar problem, although without much water noise!
From inside the car with the trim removed, I can see a stiff brown pipe, maybe 5-6mm dia. coming down from up behind the blower motor, and across to the centre console. Is this it? Can't see anything else that looks like it may be the right thing. Does it come through the bulkhead?
Better going at it from underneath? No doubt it's right in front of my face and I just can't see it [:I]
Thanks,
Chris
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Errr I think thats a power cable wouldn't prod it if I were you[:0]
You need to get under the car ideally, its on the passenger side about level with the top of the gearbox, black rubber tube that looks like a elephants trunk about 3/4" in diameter, its only about three inches long, once you are used to what you are seeing you will spot it, took me about 20 minutes and I was looking for it[:(!]
poked around with and old speedo cable and hook and got a lump of fluff out,blew it out with air from football inflator I imagine yours won't be this bad so just the air might do it.
Good luck[:D]
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

[:0][:0] I thought that might be a cable, the outer is so rigid I couldn't tell!! Good job I didn't try pulling it out [:o)][:o)]
Will have a look around for an elephants trunk later, I was also assuming a smaller pipe, closer to the center of the car!!
Thanks,
Chris