Citroen Ax Dimension 1.5 Diesel Oil Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JSP_AX
My Cars:

Citroen Ax Dimension 1.5 Diesel Oil Leak

Post by JSP_AX »

From what i can tell it looks like its the crankshaft oil seal does this sound right???
[}:)]I took it to a garage and they said it was the head gasket[}:)]
No such thing as an honest mechanic i suppose
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Be careful! My cousins 1.5D AX had a big oil leak which I rectified last year: This was the headgasket!
A garage had already misdiagnosed it as and replaced the crank oil seal.
Is there any water loss/oil in the water/water in the oil/bad starting?
Jonathan.
JSP_AX
My Cars:

Post by JSP_AX »

the oil filler cap doesn't have any white gunk on it and no oil in the water and it runs very smootly and starts 1st time this is y i didn't believe the mechanic no symtoms of a leaking head gasket
lets hope it is the crank shaft oil seal
thanx jonathan
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

unfortuntely this is a common issue on both the tu petrol engine and the tud diesel engines. In fact PSA have told dealers suprisingly that oil leaks from the tud engine are to be expected. I wouldnt worry unless the cambelt is contaminatated with oil or the engine is showing other signs of headgasket trouble such as overheating, loss of water, oil in the coolant, water in the oil, pressurisation.
JSP_AX
My Cars:

Post by JSP_AX »

my m8 whose a mechanic sed not 2 worry as its not leakin that much oil but its just annoying that it does leak all over the drive
thanx 4 all the help jonathan[8D]
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

The TUD diesel is extremely prone to oil leaks if filled to the upper dipstick mark. In their attempts to lengthen service intervals to an insane degree, PSA raised the oil level, but kept the same sump pressing. If you keep to 3/4 full or less, these engines are oil tight. If overfilled, they start by oiling up the timing belt; the situation then degenerates.
To make matters more complicated, due to the "S" bend in the dipstick tube, the level reading is wrong if checked with a cold engine - as recommended by PSA. Check level about 5 minutes after stopping with a hot engine.
A "car park" test (careful not to get caught looking) reveals most TUD5 engines are oily. - mine is completely dry at 85k.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Whats a TUD engine?? I have an old visa 17d that has now covered 175,000 miles and this doesnt leak at all, not a drop of oil on the outside. What engine have i got?
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Stinkwheel, you are fortunate to have the wonderful and *far* superior XUD engine. IMHO this is possibly the finest engine known to man, and if you manage to stop your Visa rusting away, it may well last for ever...
Jonathan.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Funny you should say that jonathan, been welding up inner wings the last couple of days for the MOT, nothing serious though, couple of patches and a track rod end. I didnt realise you were here too jonathan, Im actually matt s from the GS, 2CV, dyane lists, just hiding under a non de plume here.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hello Matt, didn't realise you had a series of identities! Do keep the Visa going, there ain't many left, my only argument with them is the way the spare wheel does rather ruin the bootspace in the Diesel and GTI...
Jonathan.