tuning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goose
My Cars:

tuning

Post by goose »

engine tunning and modifications for my zx 2.0l 16v
any usefull guides or contacts would be of great help
at the moment im running almost standard with the exception of a full s/s exhaust and de-cat and a cotton green induction cone filter
im looking to get this car reliably to 200bhp
please help me!!!
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I think you'll struggle to get a lot more from it - PSA struggled to meet the 155BHP themselves by all accounts!
I believe the same engine was fitted to many Peugeots - try Superchips (or similar) to see if they can do anything with it. Peugeots are more favoured by the modifiers anyway, because of the sportier image. Or else find a 167 BHP GTi6 engine!
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

K&N Filter / Induction...Custom exhaust to release those gases quicker.
As mentioned before a Superchip or BBR Starchip(the cheaper option by a long shot)
Then you're looking at cams, cylinder head work with larger valves, etc. Get rid of the fuel injection and intake system and opt for the twin 45 throttle bodies and webber alpha management system. You might be getting near 200Bhp then, with an uprated head gasket, complete engine rebuild and lots of cash.
Alternatively you could opt for a reliable classic in the making and not bugger it about too much!!
Go for the air filter and exhaust system, and possibly the chip re-programme. It will remain reliable and not cost you too much cash. For about £400 - £500 quid you could make the car respond better and sound much nicer without killing it.
If I can only convince the missus..[:p][:D][:D]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

hes already done exhaust and filter :)
The 16v's main problemm is its so heavy its stupid, 100kg more i believe than the early 1.9 volcanes, i took a door card off mine once and was shocked at the weight!.
Best mod for it although extreme would be dump the iron engine, get a old ally one from a bx 16v/405 mi16, do the cams in that and put throttle bodies on. May cost you 2k but it would have 200bhp+ heh
Im thinking of the psa 3litre v6 for my next visa project, will require some extensive enlarging of the engine bay but where theres a will theres a way! :D
Back to the zx, ive seen a couple of xsara vts/gti-6 engines for £300-400 on ebay. Not all zx 16vs were 155bhp, mines one of the 150bhp models. Swapping to one of the aforementioned engines will give you 167 straight out of the box, having that chipped with exhaust etc would give you a few more, the engine will bolt straight in and just need a few hours work with wiring loom etc.
As for cams, fast road spec ones for the older mi16 type are about £200 i think, if you go any higher profile they are from a billet and cost £600 odd, this should be the same for the 2 litre engines so bare that in mind. A complete throttle body kit is about £800 plus fitting.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

hes already done exhaust and filter :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So, he has!!![:I][:I] That'll teach me for not reading the entire post.[:o)]
VisaGti ?? Would the throttle system from the newer 167bhp enginge fit the old style 150bhp head and replace that awful ACAV system?? Mine doesn't work as advertised anyway. It closes off the moment you touch the throttle, and then opens up again at 5000rpm.
Isn't it supposed to stay open till 1800-2000rpm-ish, close then re-open at 5000rpm. (open / close the short throttle butterfly valves)
Is low down torque suffering because of this??
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I believe the head/cam profiles was slightly different on the 167 engine and also that it was balanced from standard but could be wrong. The manifold may physicaly fit but I have no idea what other sensors etc you would need to swap. I look at the older 1.9 16v in my visa then at my zx engine bay and just crack up, so much clutter/wiring/etc.
Mine does exactly the same. According to the Hay(LOL)anes manual I believe they should stay shut,then open at 1800 and close again 5000 so that it doesnt have too much air at high revs or at low revs. However mine open straight away but do shut at 5000. Not read about it anywhere else so have no idea if haynes manual is right but everyone else whos spoken about them on here, zx mailing list and my friend with his mk2 405 mi16 (same engine) had them open straight away.