Xantia RIDE comfort & strange Drone Noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITROEN-SUCKER

Xantia RIDE comfort & strange Drone Noise

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Hi yet more advice needed please just took 1993 1.9TD VSX xantia for mot has been standing for a while but did all the prechecks and renewed 4 corner spheres as seemed stiff. Passed MOT no probs but suspension is awful checked with GSF spheres are correct could it be the other Spheres (Comfort & accumulator) or maybe a valve already done lots of citrobics no luck Help. Also When the car gets to 25MPH or above there is an awful drone noise from front end check wheel balance and wheel bearing no luck seems to make no difference if in gear or not any ideas?
Thanks
J.J.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Wot you mean by "suspension is awful" ?
Is it too hard like a truck ?
- or is it too soft, making the car jerking around ?
Does it feels like only the front does it ?
If this Xantia is fitted with Hydractive system, then the 2 center spheres (one pr axle) gives an impression of flat wheel spheres at low speed, if these 2 spheres also are flat. These spheres are identified by each sphere base having 2 un-usual large diameter (10mm) rigid pipes connected.
This is because the center spheres are connected as an extra spring element at low speed in soft mode. Then if flat, resembles the high speed hard mode even at low speed.
Besides - it's wellknown that a flat main accumulator sphere (located directly on engine) do all kinds of strange things - especially on HA systems. But then you should also have a rather frequent ticking, even a constant rattle emitted - from the pressure regulator.
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

I mean the suystem is hard as rock just as bad as when iI replaced them
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

ill leave the suspension to others
that drone is the front wheel bearing same as what happened to mine it was there when i put the car on the road after it had stood a while anyhow u cant check these bearings unless they are off the car due to brake pads etc
change the bearing that the noise is coming from
my symptons were
noise started at about 15mph
any gear same noise got louder as i sped up
made no difference going round corners in any gear
changed it yesterday and the bearing was smooth i couldnt afford a new one so got complete hub from scrappy now its a drone free car
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Hi thanks for the bearing info not sure witch side to start with as the done just comes from the front so will try passanger side as I have a spare hub complete with shaft and should be quick job (lol)
Let you know what happens
Thanks
j.j.
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

wen u do hub dont pull out the shaft from g/box as youll get all th oil coming out
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Hi i'll try the hubs some other time anyway done the last of the spheres so car has now had full set and is still as solid as a rock been asured by GSF and Europarts that the spheres supplied where correct done the citrobics again no luck HELP!
Thanks
J.J.
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

So just tried spheres off another VSX Xantis now ok seems the spheres from GSF where flat contacted GSf was told would have to claim against parts manufacture which may take 2 or 3 months (good service or what) anyway last time i use them i will stick to europarts from now on
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

New or recon spheres [?]
What is/was the date codes [?]
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Recon recon I would save a few quid (Fat chance) Date on spheres are 10/2002
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right JJ -
You're defo not the first with this problem, dont think you really can blame GSF, other than they should record yet another lemon with this specific product type, and take future measures.
Get a refund sorted out, then pay the extra for new spheres. It wont help you mixing up with a new supplier in frustation.
Remember, even when things screws up, we're only humans. I've yet to see denial of good customers service, if both parties meets each other with common sense.