1992 XM Flow Distribution Valve & Dash removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doc
My Cars:

1992 XM Flow Distribution Valve & Dash removal

Post by Doc »

I think my FDV is starting to play up. Despite a new accumulator and new LHM & Filters less than a year ago, it is starting to make a loud hissing noise which disapears after a short time or when I move the steering wheel. Can the FDV be rebuilt at home or is it ready to fail? I know this may sound a dumb question but is the FDV the unit that the main accumulator is bolted to, or is it a separate component? The Haynes manual doesn't go into details unfortunately.
<b>Second question</b>.
I have to replace some blown bulbs in the instrument pod (tacho illumination gone)but the Haynes manual only describes taking apart a late series XM. As mine is a 1992 model,where are the fixings to remove the trim that incorporates the matrix and time display? I have successfully removed the heat/aircon panel and lower torx fixings but have had to stop.
Many thanks in advance [:)]
Andrew 'Doc' Pullen
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The FDV is a flat squarish metal block with four hydraulic pipes (model larger) bolted to the front of the gearbox NEAR the accumulator. I havn't had to remove the matrix display on my XM yet, sorry!
//NiSk
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Thanks NiSK
I will get onto GSF and look at ordering a FDV unit.
Doc
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

A recent copy of "Citroenian", the Citroen Car Club (U.K.) magazine gave a description and tips on removing a s1 XM dash.
Join the club and buy the magazine! You will recoup the cost of membership very quickly through money-saving technical short-cuts.
rg
couteau
My Cars:

Post by couteau »

Hi Doc,
Removal of the dash cover is quite simple:
1) Inside the instrument cowl, there are two plugs on each side, remove the plugs, you will see two screws, remove them.
2) You will be able to remove the instrument cowl then. Pull towards you gently, remember plastic age! Pull out the flat carpetted plactic which is in front of the instruments as well. Under there you will see some screws securing the front piece of the dash (where the warning lights, time/temp, etc).
3) Remove the screws at the bottom of the dash as well (on top of your knees if you drive).
4) Pull the fan rotary switches, you will see some screws, again remove.
5) By now, you should have removed lots of screws so stop screwing around and pull the front piece of the dash gently. The LCD and warning lamps are again SCREWED onto this front piece of plastic.
WARNING: The plastic where the screws is screwed into tends to crack, simply use slighly longer screw as a replacement.
Good luck,
Charles