Glow plug system Dead ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rac

Glow plug system Dead ?

Post by rac »

Hi all .. i am newbie here, Right had this problem today .. citroen zx diesel 1.9 k reg, the glow light in the dash clock not come on .. so no light but the other light like handbrake and other light are working! it won't fire up but it turning over when i turn key! so am i looking at a wire split somewhere or the small heating system box is knackered ? [:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dependong on age of vehicle -
- the problem could very well be corroded feed wire to the glowplug timer unit, or the the "starter" cable from ignition key to unit simply has failed, thus the timer never starts.
Could be that simple a large spade conncetor near battery has come apart.
It should be quite simple to follow the heavy gauge wire back from glowplugs to timer unit, and then back to battery. No other cable is that heavy gauge, except for the startermotor and alternator (which is much larger gauge cables).
If you're lucky - you find a dangling wire near the timer unit, which would be the +12V starter feed from ignition key.
BTW : there is no fuse in the circuit, as the glowplugs consumes approx 50Amps, and the circuit is very sensitive to any voltage drops from a possible corroded fuse.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Try running a heavy wire from the battery to the glow plugs for 30 seconds. Connect it well and use a crocodile clip at the battery end which you disconnect before trying to start it.
If it starts then you have an emergency bodge and confirmation that the glow plug relay isn't operating.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Operation of most glow plug relay boxes is pretty easy to diagnose by ear - no clicks, no go. HOwever, it doesn't necessarily follow that the relay itself is the culprit, though it's the most likely if Tom's emergency bodge works.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Some relay boxes contain contacts which can need cleaning, but I would try Toms suggestion to make it run
Stewart
rac

Post by rac »

hi again .. well for one thing i did was went to scrapyard get another one of timer relay system for fiver .. so went home and try it on .. No go ! must be wire split somewhere .. so i remove the battery and tray to see the wires underneath so look at it and it seem okay, so decide to leave it to expert so put it all back together and leave it.
but i thought go for last time turn the key and it start ! then leave it running for 10 min and turn off and try it again .. back to sqaure one ! won't start errr[:(] so somehow there is a fault in wire somewhere [?]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Rac -
What yearmodel/mileage is your K reg ZX d ?
(I'm constantly puzzled by your British "X" reg - and nearside/offside - designations when talking cars ?
- why do you have to transform the facts ? [:I][:o)])
Jon

Post by Jon »

Anders
K reg means that the car is August 1992 to July 1993. That was when it was UK registered, usually better to work by by RP number, that is, the date when the car was actually built!
Whilist on this subject, its helpful to us to know the make of glowplug relay as well (Bosch being by far the most reliable in my experience). You can also find Lucas and various French brands.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

K reg was 92/93 model year, the first letter of the registration number plate was incremented each year on the 1st August, so model years over here are mostly refered to by the first letter of the number plate, that system has now been changed though for a similar one.
Nearside is the side of the vehicle closest to the kerb, in the UK the left side, offside is the opposit side.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

To return to the subject of glow plugs - have you tested the plugs themselves? - My BX TD started quite well on 2 when I got it. If only one was working then things might be different. - of course they could all have failed.
jeremy