Sqeaky noises at the front end!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GaryH
My Cars:

Sqeaky noises at the front end!

Post by GaryH »

My Xantia SX TD 1.9 just had a new alternator fitted, emergency repair to get me home etc etc.. The alternator worked loose after a couple of weeks and seems to be attached in two places only! Managed to tighten it up with an allen key at the top left end(right under the cambelt)and there appears to be a large bolt with a washer sticking out from between the cam belt pulleys...what is it for??[:0]However everything is squeaking around the cambelt area...can I tighten the belt up myself? Also, heavy squeaking noises on full right lock..is the power steering on the way out...help![:(]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Gary,
Bit confused - can you see the cambelt? It should be hidden behind plastic covers.
2 Mounts for the alternator is normal. The alternator belt is tightened by either a manual adjuster (no air con) or an automatic adjuster (air con models). Let us know which you have, and we can point you in the direction of how to adjust it (hmm, but later models (facelifted) might use a third arrangement I think!).
You need to find out if the cambelt is squeaking - do this by removing the alternator belt and then running the engine (don't drive it of course as you will have no brakes or suspension!). If it is, then you need to get it and the tensioner, and perhaps water pump, changed ASAP. It's more likely the alternator belt is not tight enough and it is this that is squeaking (although the bottom tensionsers are known to start squeaking after 100k miles - both of mine do this, but generally quieten down once they warm up).
Some Xantias hiss a lot when on full lock, but they shouldn't squeal - if it does, then this is probably another sign that the alternator belt is not tight enough.