zx clunking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jimech
My Cars:

zx clunking

Post by Jimech »

In the last few hundred miles I've noticed my zx 1.9d is making a clunking noise from the front end. Its no that loud and sounds a bit like the du-dum du-dum noise of a train. It happens when travelling below around 40mph, straight and cornering. Not sure if it stops above this speed, or is drowned out in road noise. I've done circles around an empty asda carpark but hear nothing, taking suspicion away from the cv joints. Ive had a good look at both front wheels bearings, and all seems fine. The gaitors are good and I can't find any play in the driveshafts. The only thing I can notice is the passager side drive shaft, which seems of larger diameter that the drivers side, has a little axial play. It can be pushed slightly towards the engine, and then springs back. Is it supposed to do this, or could this be the problem?
It feels like positive movement, and is only in the direction parallel to the shaft, almost as if it is suppose to do this, but then this movement is not in the drivers side. Any suggestions?
Jim
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jim,
A few mm of axial play is normal in the shaft.
Is the noise regular and speed related (eg something that is going round) or related to road surface? If the former, then wheel bearings, CV Joints, RH shaft intermediate bearing have got to be candidates, as are a brake pad catching or something. If the latter, then drop links, bottom ball joint and wishbone bushes are the candidates.
You may have to wait till it develops a bit more before you can nail it down!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Jim
Mine was the drop link, but there was no play detectable with it on the car, and very little when I took it off. Search archive for 'pobble' [:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I agree with UHN113x. My old ZX td had this rumble, clonk sound and I couldn't find at all. A couple of garages had a look and found nothing. I bit the bullet and fitted a new drive shaft (second hand), bottom ball joint but I also had a look at the drop links. On the car they seem OK but once removed, they were rite sh**y. No grease and loads of play. Any how managed to get some grease in to them and re-fitted. All was OK after and still is according to the garage I sold it to as a part EX. Funny really I thought they would sell it on or auction it but no they have kept it as a run about for the staff on sales pitch sort of fetching and carring.
Jimech
My Cars:

Post by Jimech »

Many thanks for your replies, I'm back home from uni now, so access to more space, and more tools! Still have the clunking noise, but its not continuous only occasionally. The only thing i have found is that if you grab the front passenger side wheel at the top and shake it vigorously there is a slight knocking movement. However when I jack the car up and repeat this shaking, no movement, and so don't suspect the wheel bearing. When you lower the car down again and shake once more the knocking has gone. If you roll the car forward, and repeat shaking, it will then knock again. I assume this is because as the car is lowered the wheel is at a slight angle and so forces are pushing against the worn part, holding it from knocking. Any ideas as to which part this could mean is worn?
By drop link do you mean the vertical linkage that makes up part of the anti-roll bar? This looks shiney and new, as if it was recently renewed (I only got the car a few months ago).
I will investigate further as and when I get the chance (I live on a farm), any more suggestions on techniques for investgating the various parts that could be to blame?
Jim
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yep that's a drop link. They look fine and also feel fine when on the vehicle but on a bench they generally feel rite s***y. Not a big job to remove and check. There's an allen key hole in the end with the nut on to stop them turning when you undo them as well as a flat on the inside of the joint.