BX vs Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Patxi
My Cars:

BX vs Xantia

Post by Patxi »

Hi!
I know this is kind off a "difficult" comparative, but what are the differences and similarities between the BX and xantia, in terms of comfort?
Pro's and Con's would work too, though i would prefer a less condensed approach.
Cheers!
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Depends which models you are comparing.
1992 BX TZD Estate v's 1995 Xantia SX 1.9TD Hatch. BX seats more comfortable and more supportive, Xantia ride softer and more "wallowly". Xantia quieter and more refined for Motorway / fast A road crusing. BX better performance on the road espcially B roads. Given the choice overall I prefered the BX.
1992 BX TZD Estate V's 1998 Xantia Exclusive 2.1TD - Xantia wins hands down!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Comparing a BX GTi and a Xantia VSX...very different, but the same (if that makes sense!!)
BX has better turn-in on corners, but the Xantia holds on better. The Xant is a better ride, but the BX more comfortable.
Tricky to compare as one is a 1.9 petrol, the other a 1.9TD...
Xantia does feel more solid, but the BX feels more responsive...
I tend to use the BX locally, and the Xantia on long trips. Getting into the BX from the Xantia, I do miss the steering wheel stereo controls, though. The BX, however, has better control (if worse operation) of the electric windows.
Swings and roundabouts it definately is. That's why I have both - can't choose!
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

After owning a BX16 for more than 6 years, and now Xantia MkII (non hydractive) about half a year - all in all, ride comfort is similar. BX is better on some surfaces, Xantia on another. Also, I must admit, there are some roads, where ride in both Xantia and BX is worse than in conventional cars. I'll probably move to 'springs' after Xantia.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Since I'm not interested in a C5 as a new car, only as second hand they offer very good value for money after the depreciation happens. Second hand they are much better than what else you get for the same amount of money.
JoSawday
My Cars:

Post by JoSawday »

Had BX TZS for 176,000 miles (six years) and currently have Xantia 1.8LX (six years, 133,000). In terms of seat comfort BX wins easily (why didn't they carry those seats over to Xantia?), Ride about the same, but Xantia not quite to wallowy. Xantia still glides over most speed bumps but I'm more careful than in my BX which never noticed them at all. I do like the AirCon on my Xantia though.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hmm,
this is quite strange. The Xantia I have rides better than my BX19tri. The seats kill the BX's, the BX seats are terrible, they can't be adjusted enough using those stupid rotary knobs on the lower cushion. Even worse than the terrible seats is the stupidly painful throttle position. Were talking serious leg cramps if you even dream of driving the BX any distance [:(!] If any car screams for cruise control it's the BX (it's accelerator pedal position really is that bad, even bending the sh!t out of mine leaves it painfully bad to use).
The Xantia handles as well as the BX, but probably isn't as 'chuckable', in outright cornering speed the Xantia would win, but hey, they BX is probably more fun.
The Xantia seats kill the awful BX seats, the driving position is considerably better (and it has cruise control). The steering lock is much better in the Xantia, however it's to low geared for my liking (the BX steering has less turns lock 2 lock which I much prefer). The BX has much better brake feel, who cares about the ABS the xantia has, at least the BX doesn't have that insanely stupid spring under the brake pedal [:0]
Drive them both and see what you like, personaly I'd go for the Xantia everytime. However I would be very temped by a BX16valve [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Shane - which set of seats did the BX TRi get in Australia? There were 2 kinds of seats fitted, and they can age badly sometimes.
Standard models in the UK had the larger, squashy late-CX-like seats which were comfortable in an armchair sort of way but not always supportive for press-on driving. Some TR-spec and all later Z-spec models and GTis, 16vs etc. had much firmer sports-style seats which keep you in place but can get extremely firm as the internal foam flattens out over time. A sport-style BX seat on one of these where the car was used by a lighter,smaller driver can be quite a surprise if youve got used to a flettened-ou one.
My only experience of Xantias is as a passenger in Xantia taxis....
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

rem... flettened-ou = flattened-out. I wasn't trying to convey the message in the style of HRH-speak, or like a 1940s film!
Funny how two different people can have such wildly differing views of BX seats. I've always found both types very comfortable, until the foam starts to thin out and collapse.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Nah,
the foam in the seats is good. There the seats with the 2 rotory knobs for adjustment on the bottom seat cushion near where your knees are when you sit in it.
CX seats are vastly supperior, the BX seats have no lower back support, and don't adjust far enough for the short arses amongst us [;)]
seeya,
Shane L.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SM 2.7</i>

- Xantia - No body-roll suspension available (Activa) on Diesel and Gasoline. Much more impressive to drive a V6 Activa than a BX 16V, especially on corners.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Unless you live in the UK where the Activa is (was) available with the TurboCT (petrol turbo) engine and saloon bodystyle only. (no engine choice, no estate/break version, no diesel version)
And the V6 was available as an automatic saloon only. (No estate/break, no manual gearbox).