Leaky Xantia & other malades

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

r44flyer

Leaky Xantia & other malades

Post by r44flyer »

97 Xantia TD LX Estate
Any ideas on the source of leak into the passenger footwell when it rains? I thought it was coming through the heater fan/pollen filter but now I'm not so sure, could it be a leaky screen? Is this a common problem? I'm a bit worried about the alarm getting wet!
Also the clutch has always been very heavy and releases high with a bit of juddering sometimes. I have managed another 10k miles with it like this but the plastic clip on the clutch pedal snapped recently and I do not want to have to replace that 'EVER AGAIN!' Roughly how much does it cost to get a clutch changed?
Lastly, when accelerating the rear seems to dip and when braking heavily it rises, is the height adjuster being 'lazy' or is this normal?
Thanks!
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

96 Xantia TD LX Estate (P reg).......
A new clutch cost us around £325 a couple of weeks ago at a small garage
but a main dealer price is over £500
<i>(but now the Xantia is unusable anyway - still trying to get a replacement cylinder head, hopeful of success today; the mechanic is checking on another one.... so far, two heads removed and looked at turned out to have the same problem -- cracked cam carriers)</i>
btw, if it turns out to be the windscreen sealing that leaks, try Comma Seek 'n Seal
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

re the rise and fall you mention ....
even when the rear height adjuster was jammed up (lots of freeing oil and working it around followed by greasing fixed that) ours didn't do that.
The front did just occasionally dip quite suddenly when parking though, and ride seemed generally too hard anyway, so got new speres but owing to the head problem not been able to see if that sorted it.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by r44flyer</i>

97 Xantia TD LX Estate
Any ideas on the source of leak into the passenger footwell when it rains? I thought it was coming through the heater fan/pollen filter but now I'm not so sure, could it be a leaky screen? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Have you checked under the boot carpet and the rear seats?
There is a fair chance that it is coming through the rear hatch. Mine manages to get water right down to the passenger footwell when it leaks (I do park it facing downhill though).
If it is wet under the boot carpet then take the carpeted bit off the inside of the hatch and you will see the plastic liner. It tends to come unsealed around the bottom.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Check for leaves/debris in the heater inlet. It is situated at the base of the windscreen on the N/S under a plastic grill. A build up of debris causes the drain pipe to become blocked and then for water to flow into the passenger footwell via the heater.
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

I just had the clutch changed in my Xantia 1.8 16V and the guy did it for £350 "for cash..." [:)]
He also changed the crankshaft & driveshaft oil seals and changed the gearbox oil too.
Would not have thought the price would be amazingly different for a deisel, allthough I am standing by to be corrected... [;)]
All the best
Tuftus