Trim Inserts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gradeafailure
My Cars:

Trim Inserts

Post by gradeafailure »

Hope someone can point me in the right direction on this because it's got me stumped!
Had to replace the front bumper on my '92 ZX Volcane late last year/early this year due to a sleepyhead pulling out in front of me on the way to work. After a lot of searching for a 2nd-hand bumper in the right colour I eventually admitted defeat, handed the car over to a bodyshop and let them source, paint and fit a new bumper, which they did.
However, after getting the car home and getting it finished off, I noticed that there were no black trim stripes in the bumper, just a recess for it to sit. On closer inspection of my discarded bumper, I discovered that these strips are not simply stuck on, but clipped into slots along their entire length and tucked into the bumper through holes in the bumper at each end.
So it would seem that the bumper I have been supplied is actually from the newer facelift models which although visually similar to the Volcane bumper, doesn't have the trim strips fitted.
Anyway, my question is: does anyone know of anywhere that sells black trim inserts that will replicate the Volcane ones or am I going to have to get some originals from Citroen and drill the bumper (which I don't want to do if I can help it!)? I have already tried local bodyshops, motor factors, Halfords, etc, but to no avail.
Cheers! oh, and sorry you had to read such a long essay for such a simple question but I thought I should explain the situation fully... [:)]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Past experience with cars in my family (clumsy lot) Has learned me always try a ford dealer, they always have a vast array of trims like that, always good quality, and if its not a perfect match its as close as you'll get it, Also get a little tin of the glue they use to stick it on with, its absolutely brilliant stuff.
Cheaper than a citroen dealer as well and far superior to anything in halfords type places.
Hope this helps[:D]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My local cit dealer quoted me £98 for a full set of those trims!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Was in Halfords the other day (for some polish) and noticed that they still sell that plastic on a roll chrome strip about 6mm or 10mm wide but it was also avalible in red, black and white. It was only a couple of quid for about 10 foot.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sounds like the garage have replaced the bumper with the "Furio/Elation" type which looks like Volcane but lacks the trim strip. It just has the indentation in the bumper for the moulding. Doh.
I can't see why you can't drill the bumper and fit the Volcane moulding, its hardly going to go rusty! [;)]