cats.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

amcc
My Cars:

cats.

Post by amcc »

Hi, I thought I had asked this question last week but dont see it anywhere so here goes again, I was told by a mechanic that rather than replace the burst cat. on my xantia 1.9 td. I could do without it and that the emissions for the M.O.T. would be okay.what do you think.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've just replaced my cat equipped exhaust with a non cat pipe, they aren't an MOT requirement.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, the MOT test is purely concerned with the smoke emissions from a diesel and a Cat doesn't really have any effect on these, so removing it will be ok!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Hang on I thougtht that under the new recent VOSA rules if it was "made with it,it will have to be tested with it". A mate of mine had his (now don'tlaugh) Saxo VTR tested and the tester failed it as the CAT was missing, 2002 model he had one of these straight through exhuast things. Or is it down to the year it was made?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It'll fail on a petrol as the emmissions can't get down to the required levels without the Cat (CO levels mainly - I think the pass level is something like 0.1%?). I have heard of some cars (Toyota?) that can nearly pass without a Cat, but may be failed because it isn't there. IN this case, putting a strategically shaped silencer instead of the cat might just fool the MoT man!
Don't know about Diesels, though...
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I took the cat off my 97 TD Xantia when it was new as the car felt quite sluggish after having changed from another TD Xantia which was pre-cat. The performance is better without it, an extra 2BHP!!!
The lack of a cat has not caused any problems at MOT time because as stated above the test is only for smoke whereas the cat reduces nitrious oxides if I recall correctly. Not very eco friendly I agree, but I suppose I use less fuel as a consequence of being cat-less.
I have always preferred dogs anyhow. I still have my cat sitting up in the roof of the garage, not that I feed it!!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

Hang on I thougtht that under the new recent VOSA rules if it was "made with it,it will have to be tested with it".
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's true, in theory.
But they don't have any records of which diesels had cats, and which didn't, so its unenforceable in practice [:D]
Nick
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

I took the cat off my 97 TD Xantia when it was new as the car felt quite sluggish after having changed from another TD Xantia which was pre-cat. The performance is better without it, an extra 2BHP!!!
The lack of a cat has not caused any problems at MOT time because as stated above the test is only for smoke whereas the cat reduces nitrious oxides if I recall correctly. Not very eco friendly I agree, but I suppose I use less fuel as a consequence of being cat-less.
I have always preferred dogs anyhow. I still have my cat sitting up in the roof of the garage, not that I feed it!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
WOoooowww [:D][:D][8D][8D]
2 ekstra Bhp's [:p]
- that's just exactly what the hydraulic pump takes, so if this is removed too ... [:p][:p] ... watch out the speedcams [8D]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

And if you turn off the A/C you win another 5-7 hp and the alternator takes nearly 2 hp on full load . . . boy! we're really into tuning now!
//NiSk
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I'm sure you could get a 2bhp boost by driving on a cold day with high pressure (on the barometer).
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Take out the gearbox? [}:)][:D][:p]