Xantia CD multichanger, where to mount?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The original Citroen one was basically 'glued' to the carpet on the o/s of the boot in the upright position. I have either put mine under the drivers seat (right next to the connector) or 'loose' in the boot, but held in position by the boot net. (I don't race anywhere in my Xantia). This also allows easy removal if I need to carry large loads.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I fancy a multichanger, but I am a bit concerned about wiring?
I have a pioneer head unit at the moment, how many wires come out of the changer, is it just one lead taking power from the head or does it have to be wired up seperately? Ie 3 wires going through to the front?
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

hi,
my 1999 xantia estate did not come with a lead either but i have mine velcrod on the carpet under the passenger seat only skips on really tight right hand corners going to fast.
meexi
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

the orange connectors are probably for seat belt pre-tensioners or side airbags if you have them - I wouldn't recommend messing with them until the battery has been disconnected for 30 minutes if you're considering removing a seat to fit the changer.
I believe the stereo wiring is pretty standard - you might need an adaptor cable though. Check this site:
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/cdc_adaptor.asp
Worth having a look around the rest of that site as there's lots of useful adaptors etc and they're very cheap.
Adrian
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The original Citroen one was basically 'glued' to the carpet on the o/s of the boot in the upright position.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've just fitted an mStation to my Xantia and that explains why I coudn't find any mounting points for an autochanger in the boot!
I glued a piece of MDF to the inner wheelarch using EvoGrip and left it overnight to set. I then screwed through the carpet and into the MDF for a neat easy fixing.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Dave, is your car a VSX, because if it is the block connector is under the drivers seat. You will need to pull back the carpet and under it you will find two spare connector blocks, the other one is for fitting a mobile phone. To fit the wiring to the boot remove the base of the rear O/S seat and feed the wire under the carpet in the R/O/S footwell and then into the boot, making sure that the wire is not trapped, particularly when the rear seat is lowered back into place.
I take it that you have the connecting wire with the set? If not then you have a problem!
If your car is not a VSX then you have a another problem because I don't think the wiring was put into the car when new.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by taipan</i>

This is weird. I cant find a connector for it to plug into. Its the 4030 radio and Blaupunkt says I should have a CDC-A03, which I now have. I just pulled teh radio out and theres no where for teh changer to plug in. I've looked under my seats and both have an ornage connector going to teh seat(?) but no connector for teh changer. I cant see one in the boot either? Where does this connector normally live? I it tucked behind a panel somewhere? Any ideas?
Many thanks
Dave
Are you sure it should be a Blaupunkt and not a Clarion? The clarion uses a round DIN style connector, the Blaupunkt is a long rectangular one.
On mine, (a 1998 estate) from which the previous owner had kept the CD changer. The connector was behind the trim panel on the left hand side of the boot.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Interestingly I also had a 1998 estate (VSX, last of the MK1s) and the connector was under the drivers seat.
Seems like lucky dip.
Blaupunkt were used on MK1s and Clarion on MK2s I believe
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Mines a facelifted version, the left hand cubbyhole has mounting points for the changer bracket something else the previous owner couldn't bear to part with. Maybe because they "lost" 14 grand on the car in just over two years. ([B)] ouch)
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Dave, have you changed your radio? I say that because the SX came with the 3030 radio which I don't think is compatable with the CD changer. Even if you have changed it to the 4030, (which has mode, audio, and CPS in the top left corner as opposed to the 3030 which has music symbol, GEO, CPS) you will not have the connecting lead under the drivers seat.
The radio has three small connection blocks into the back of it whereas the CD changer lead has a much larger block. If you get stuck then I can take a look at mine and relate the leads under the seat.
I've also just checked both my CD changers (I've got a spare) and they are both CDC-A05.
stevew

Post by stevew »

Hi All,
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but this seems the most relavent.
I have a '96 Xantia SX TD and have recently upgraded the radio from the Blaupunkt 3030 to the 4030. It's a useful upgrade in itself, it sounds better and the ability to control the tape deck from the steering controls (which are compatible) is nice. However I originslly bought the unit with a view to fitting a CD changer and now I have some questions. First the facts as I understand them:
The Citroen System Audio 4030 is made by Blaupunkt, model PH1(D), and is electrically similar to other Blaupunkt models of a similar age.
It is CD changer compatible and can control Blaupunkt changers of similar age as well as newer ones that use the same control protocol (DMS).
These include, CDC-A05 the original unit, CDC-A08 and CDC-A03 the current unit.
All three of these changers have the Blaupunkt 13 pin round DIN type connecter.
The Citroen 4030 head unit is a '26 pin' type using 3 ISO connectors. An 8 way connector for power, an 8 way connector for speakers and a 10 way connector for the steering controls and the CD changer input.
More recent Blaupunkt head units are '36 pin' having the same power and speaker connections but 'mini-ISO' connections for inputs, outputs and data etc.
Hence if you buy a new CD changer, the CDC-A03, it will need an adapter to connect to the old style ISO connector on the 4030.
In the original Citroen installation a cable ran from the back of the head unit either to under the drivers seat or behind a panel in the boot. This carried all the connections needed for the CD changer but terminates in a propriatry Citroen connector.
And now some questions: [:)]
Presumably if you ordered aa new Xantia with the CD changer it came with a short adapter lead that had a Citroen connector at one end and a 13 pin round DIN connector on the other. Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible to get one from Citroen?
The Citroen connector, under the drivers seat in my Xantia, is 9 way but some one mentioned that it might be a mobile phone connection can anyone speculate on what number of ways the connctor should be?
If it's not available from Citroen then I'm going to make a lead up as I don't want to fit a new lead all the way to the back of the radio. I have full electrical schematics for both the PH1(D) and the CDC-A08 so I should able to work out which wires do what but they are not labled the same and the diagrams are all in German! [:p] It would help it someone could test an known good cable and note the connections [:D]
If I get it working then I'll post the results.
Any comments much appreciated,
Steve
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

The original CD changer from Citroen came with an adapter cable. It looks like the standard Blaupunkt cable, with one connector cut off and the wires spliced into a Citroen rectangular connector. I have a note somewhere of the pin connections on each connector.
The original fitting instructions say (from memory) that the mating connector for the changer is either under the drivers seat, or under the centre console. I would not be surprised, though if the cable from the head unit was only fitted to cars which left the factory with the 4030.
stevew

Post by stevew »

Great thats just what I thought. [:)]
You might expect that the cable would only be fitted to models that came with the 4030 as standard (just the VSX and Activa?) however the cable in my SX is part of the wiring harness and could not be removed by itself. I doubt that they had a different wiring harness for each model it just wouldn't be economical. Also it would be BIG hassle for dealers if when customers wanted to upgrade the standard 3030 to a 4030 with CD changer they had to start taking up the carpets and the seats out.
If you find that diagram it would be a huge help. I haven't tried asking Ciroen for one yet but I don't hold out to much hope.
Steve
shezads

Post by shezads »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paranoid</i>

I fancy a multichanger, but I am a bit concerned about wiring?
I have a pioneer head unit at the moment, how many wires come out of the changer, is it just one lead taking power from the head or does it have to be wired up seperately? Ie 3 wires going through to the front?
Paranoid - There are two wires coming out of the changer for a pioneer. One will go to the back of the head unit - plug adapter - square - with (I think) 9 pins.
The second wire is the power/earth lead. Power lead usually routed alongside the first lead (the square one) - and getting power from head unit - should be fine - I used the permenant live rather then the ignition live for both the head unit and cd changer.
The other end of the power lead (for cd changer) - will split into two - leaving the earth - which you can just earth to the body of the car.
Sorry if it isn't very clear - but it is a lot more simple then it sounds!
[:D]
stevew

Post by stevew »

Hey All,
Well if your read my post above then you'll know that I have been on the look out for a CD changer compatible with the 4030 Xantia radio. This means the Blaupunkt CDC-A05 or A08. The A03 is still current and can be had for about £200, a bit steep for me. The A05 and A08 come up regularly on Ebay buit always seem to sell for around £50-60, which for an unknown quantity is also a bit steep. This is especially true for the A05 which, being older, is more likely to skip or not play CD-Rs etc.
Well how about this then:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=117206
Here is a head unit AND a CDC-A08 changer for £117! If you sell your Xantia you can still use the changer with the head unit. Alternatively if you can't get the changer to work with the Citroen radio you can replace it with the new headunit and a DIN surround.
Steve