Xantia Mk1 head prob - does GSF do recons?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Forth
My Cars:

Xantia Mk1 head prob - does GSF do recons?

Post by Forth »

<font color="purple">Xantia Mk 1 "P" reg (1996) 1.9 TurboDiesel</font id="purple">
Put it in for a service... our ZX (also a 1.9TD) was going to get seen to later... the mechanic got mixed up and thought it was the Xantia that was to get its valve clearances checked...
it was just as well he did though, as he's just phoned to report that the Xantia (which had been a bit sluggish at higher revs) has turned out to have a hairline-cracked cam carrier, which fell apart on removal.
Lucky escape....
But now need to find a new head for it (think it's the same as the head for the same engine on ZX-td but with a blanking plate instead of a drive coming off it?)
But got a feeling scrapyards would have either entire good engines (and few that were M reg to the end of the series anyway) or wrecked engines with heads that were themselves no good.....
So, <font color="maroon">does GSF do a reconditioned head
--- or if not what price (shudders in anticipation) for a new one?</font id="maroon">
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

have a look at
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... line+bored
A chat with an engine reconditioner may be worthwhile as he may be able to adapt and fit one or even get a blank.
jeremy
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<font color="purple">the rest is not looking too good either, so it seems a complete replacement head is what's needed rather than patching....
[xx(]
The Xantia's engine had always been quiet even at higher revs, only symptom of anything being wrong was a sluggish lack of response at near-full acceleration.</font id="purple">
<i>The ZX on the other hand is a noisy unit (lots of diesel clatter) but very responsive. Hoping it stays ok, since in a couple of hours time it will be running a few hundred miles instead of the Xantia.</i>
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My catalogue shows 306/405 1.9TD XUD9TE 92> bare cylinder head code TO1008 £290.00 (+vat etc) - page 6.
Page 4 - Citroen BX/ZX/Xantia/ 1.9TD XUD 9 88> complete NO1012C £395 +
any use?
jeremy
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

i thought the ZX and Xantia, 306 etc all shared the same XUD9TE unit? last week i gave my mate my head off my written off ZX,he has since fitted it to his pug 306 with no probs? its been running over a week now!
Dan
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Located head off a Xantia TD of similar age and spec, possibly itself a replacement on the engine it's off; £120... about to confirm if it is ok and the correct one for for ours now....