XM height corrector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JackTar
My Cars:

XM height corrector

Post by JackTar »

Has anyone got a detailed diagram of an XM rear height corrector?
I need to know which pipe goes to the brake valve.
Also, about how much is a load area blind worth ? (in good condition)
Jim
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jim -
What you need is a hydraulic diagram at rear of car.
The HC schematic only shows the main function of the pipe ports - not what anything else is/may be connected.
The pipe that sits alone exactly mid to the HC body, no other neighbour pipes next to, is the suspension port of the HC.
<font color="blue"><i>This pipe carries the suspension pressure.</i></font id="blue">
If you do NOT have hydractive or antisink system fitted, then this pipe simply runs to a 4way union, which diverts the suspension pressure to each rear suspension cylinder - AND - the brake valve rear brakes circuit input.
However - if your XM has hydractive or antisink - even both systems - fitted, THEN things are rather complicated in the pipeworks.
If your XM further would have ABS system fitted to the brakes, you really have to know the ins/outs of your XM's pipework, to trace it up.
You have one single milestone to support you :
If the rear suspension ride height can be varied correct according to your manual height setting, <i>then the HC itself is piped up correct</i> to the suspension.
I think it's imperative you get yourself detailed tech info on your XM, as your problem may well be one of those sadly known as XM-killers, i.e. your Citroen garage can not solve it, without returning prohibitive huge bills.
Please try mail forum member Norrie for XM tech info, who signs in here using nickname noz :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... ay&id=1437
JackTar
My Cars:

Post by JackTar »

Anders,
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe the HC was faulty, although the manual control works fine. I can see I have a lot of reading to do.
Jim
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

According to the two following diagrams, the rear brakes of the XM are fed directly from the doséur valve (foot brake valve). Applies to both Dirass, Diravi, ABS et all:
http://citroeny.cz/servis/xmser/schema_brzd.gif
http://citroeny.cz/servis/xmser/schema_brzd_ABS.gif
and hyadractive as well is seems . .
http://citroeny.cz/servis/xmser/Hydractive_DIRAVI.gif
//NiSk
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thanks reminding me NiSk [:)]
But I did'nt dare show this to Jim - as I'm uncertain whether these diagrams applies to Jim's exact XM model.
According to the XM service manual, it looks like things can be different from the above diagrams.
Especially the issue on the feed from HC goes to a 4way union (as it does on other/earlier hyd Cit models) - I'm unsure applies in this instance.
On top of that comes the uncertainty to reckon the pipes, once you're under the car with a floodlight. That takes quite some DIY experience to figure out - which you already have on your XM NiSk [;)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yes Anders, I was at "Bilbesiktning" (Swedish MOT) with my XM last week - the inspector was worried about possible rust on two "brake" pipes emerging from the top of the height corrector. I pointed out to him that these weren't brake pipes but suspension fluid pipes , and one of them was a loe pressure return pipe - the idiot insisted that they must be brake pipes - I'll have to make a picture for him . . .
//NiSk
JackTar
My Cars:

Post by JackTar »

I agree with what you're saying, the diagrams don't exactly match my car. Mine is an S1 with Hydractive 2 and ABS.
Actually, the diagrams look fairly straight forward, it's a pity it doesn't look that way under the car !
I think I'll drop by my local garage. It's not a Citroen workshop but the mechanic is quite competent. It's so much easier to check these things on a lift rather than with the car on axle stands.
Thanks for your help,
Jim