Bad paint on Xantia bootlid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

Bad paint on Xantia bootlid

Post by Nikolaymk »

Hi,
I've seen other threads on this subject but I'm still not clear why most early model Xantia hatchbacks have bad paint on the bootlid. Also I will appreciate any advice how to make that paint fault less obvious.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Have you tried T-cut &/or G45??
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Yes. coulour restorer only made it much worse. I think they've used the standard paint on plastic bootlid. Only the horizontal part of the bootlid suffers though. The vertical part with the "Xantia" logo is like new.
Kered

Post by Kered »

On my hatchback it was only evident where my hand touched the lid on shutting it. It tended to craze the the protective lacqer coating.
The lacquer coating on the metallic paint is very much affected by bird sh1t. If you don't wash it off PDQ then it eats into the surface. Could be that that the hand skin has similarly aggressive chemicals maybe in the sweat.
I gather that all of this was due to using a water based paint at that time in order to cut down on solvents.
Derek
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Apparently the bad paint is cause by the fibreglass compound that the tailgate is made from. The paint doesn't agree with it. My own Xantia had a completely faded and lacquerfree boot lid (metallic blue). I got the paint code from under the bonnet just below the steerinwheel above the offside bulkhead. I bought an aerosol can of the matching paint and a can of lacquer, came to £10 at the citroen dealers. I did an excellent touch up job with it.