Xsara VTR "no probs" (so far)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Xsara VTR "no probs" (so far)

Post by Stuart McB »

Can I just say that since doing a full oil "n" filter change (quartz 700 oil & all filters), thermosat change and new Citroen coolant, red ex throught the tank all has been smooth running for a month now [:D]. All I've done is given the car a stern talking to about letting me down. That and changing the drivers mirror to electric from manual (changed the switch to match) fix the rear boot lock (plastic clip fallen off) fitted an inline filter to the MAP sensor so as to stop oil contamination and given it a really good clean & polish. All smiles at my house even the wifes happy now [:D][:D].
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

Do they have some sort of notoriety for problems then? I was thinking of getting one next!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Don't think so, but after an 11 year old ZX td that needed tender loving care every week end it's hard to do nothing all weekend. The spare time on my hands has left me re-designing the garden with my wife.
Only problem I had with my first Citroen Xsara VTR was it kept cutting out every now and then but that was sorted with the inline filter to the map sensor. Good ride and very smooth, good little engine the 1.6ltr. I can recommend it to any one.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Stuart, how does the performance (and motorway refinement) of the 1.6 Xsara compare to the ZX TD?
Simon H
My Cars:

Post by Simon H »

Hello
My mother has a second gen Xsara 1.4i, compared to my ZX 1.4i it is horrid! The Xsara feels underpowered with the 1.4 engine having to be thrashed to get up to speed, the handling feels less assured too (perhaps due to increased weight, wider tyres), the cabin is gloomy with poor placing of switches ( electric window switches are not on the doors), the instruments are not easy to read. On the plus side loads of storage space, superior headlights, a nice stereo & the usual Citroen refined ride, although as it is based on the ZX floorpan this is to be expected. I would not buy one of these cars! Hopefully the C4 will better this car in every way!
Regards
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sl4yer</i>

Stuart, how does the performance (and motorway refinement) of the 1.6 Xsara compare to the ZX TD?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Well it has it's down sides. For example the electric window switches are mounted in the dash board by the heater vents [?] (a bit of an after thought by apperance)and not in the doors, fuel ecconomy is less as its petrol approx 34 MPG intead of the 48+ in the ZX TD. I think the ride is certainly more sure footed that the ZX but his is possibly the tyre width etc.On the motorway it's fine no wondering around and it seems quiter as well. Not to prone to side winds but it is slightly heavier than the ZX. Personnally I'd go for (if I had the money) a new Xsara HDI VTR model [^]. All the pose of a sporty looking car but with the fuel costs of a diesel [8D]. My local Citroen dealer is selling and ex demo one in bright red with all the optional extras on it. Looks really great. I was after a Volcane ZX but just couldn't find a decent 3 door locally with the milage etc that I was after so I went to the next model up if you see what I mean. I does the job as intended. I think you have to move with the times and eventually the ZX will be a distant memory while the Xsara will become as cheap as chips. A good all round Citroen[:)].
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

you get used to the swicthes in the centre esp as they have one touch action, switches in doors feel stupid now!!!!. I'm really beginning to like my xsara hdi after 18 months.
aido

Post by aido »

hi there,im going to be searching for an estate car soon to replace my zx volcane td as ive got a big dog and wouldn't mind a xsara hdi 110. ive been looking on honest johns web site at them to see if there are any reported problems and he reckons there have been reported cases of early clutch failure of some kind.Has anyone out there had this problem?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Dont mean to be stupid,where can i find "honest johns"?I cant seem 2 find it.
Thanks
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

For np:
www.honestjohn.co.uk
For aido:
I don't take Honest John too literally. From memory, he says that ZX radiators fail every 3 years. Mine hasn't failed in seven as yet. If all HDi clutches were prone to fail as suggested, PSA would be in serious trouble. Most of France would probably grind to a halt! (Actually.... [;)] )
I quite fancy a Xsara HDi Coupe, but they seem quite rare, and therefore overpriced when available so I got the Volcane instead. Maybe in a couple of years.... I can't think of ANY reason to get another petrol car though.
Simon H
My Cars:

Post by Simon H »

Horses for courses as they say! My mum actually loves her Xsara because it is more refined than her old ZX (which I now have!), the elec window switches do not annoy her at all either, I suppose I am just being a bit too critical. and yes the cooking VTR model is excellent value for money & as a car the Xsara looks better as a 2-door.
Regards
Simon H
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

Well it has it's down sides. For example the electric window switches are mounted in the dash board by the heater vents [?] (a bit of an after thought by apperance)and not in the doors, fuel ecconomy is less as its petrol approx 34 MPG intead of the 48+ in the ZX TD. I think the ride is certainly more sure footed that the ZX but his is possibly the tyre width etc.On the motorway it's fine no wondering around and it seems quiter as well. Not to prone to side winds but it is slightly heavier than the ZX. Personnally I'd go for (if I had the money) a new Xsara HDI VTR model [^]. All the pose of a sporty looking car but with the fuel costs of a diesel [8D]. My local Citroen dealer is selling and ex demo one in bright red with all the optional extras on it. Looks really great. I was after a Volcane ZX but just couldn't find a decent 3 door locally with the milage etc that I was after so I went to the next model up if you see what I mean. I does the job as intended. I think you have to move with the times and eventually the ZX will be a distant memory while the Xsara will become as cheap as chips. A good all round Citroen[:)].
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
aido

Post by aido »

yeah you are probably right SL4yer,ive looked at most manufacturers on his web site and they've all got problems listed,its luck of the draw mate i reckon. [:)]the HDI engines are a fair bit quieter than xud arent they,yeah,quite fancy one.