Xantia front brakes tight

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

Xantia front brakes tight

Post by JohnCKL »

I found out that my 96 Xantia 1.9TD front wheels are difficult to turn by hand when jacked up and parking brakes off. When I took out the brake pads, I can turn the disc easier than with the pads on. So it seems that the pads are not retracting well when pressure is not applied. Is it possible I can grease the piston so that it retracts better? Or is there any other explanations or solutions to the tight front brakes problem?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

John -
Are the pad linings worn squarely & equal on both ?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Go for a drive down a road where you wont have to use the brakes, like a dual carriageway, after a short while slow down and stop without using much brake, feel the discs, be careful incase they are hot, you may find that they are only just warm, if so nothing is wrong, if after hardly any use they are hot then there is a problem.
There is nothing to physicaly retract the pads from the discs and they stay in light contact with the disc, there is some tiny movement of the disc as the car moves from side to side on its bearings, you will see this on a DTI, this action is relied on to free the brakes off under normal conditions.
If you were to stop the car without using the brakes after a run and jacked it up, you should find the wheels turn much more freely, using the brakes to stop the car and then jacking it up is no real pointer as to them sticking, you must test them for abnormal heating up (while they are at rest) during driving if they are suspect.
Dave
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Thanks Anders, Dave. The pads are worn evenly on both pad surfaces but one was worn more than the other. Can't recall which worn out more. It happened on both front wheels, one of the pads was worn out about 1 mm more than the other. Hope that's normal. After your explanation, Dave, it would seem normal for the pads to stick upon braking and parking. It should work loose when being driven. Brings to mind the slight screeching sound when reversing out of the driveway (due to the pads still sticking to the disc at a slow speed). When I start driving off, there is no more screeching sound. I will test it out on the carriageway as you suggested and see if my wheels are hot or just warm.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The Xantia uses sliding calipers (supposedly!) the trouble is, after a while they don't slide too well! This problem is common to nearly all modern cars. If you can free off the brakes by tapping on the moving part of the calíper with a heavy hammer (tap on both in- and outsides of the caliper) then the caliper is sticking and needs to be taken off the yoke and have the moving parts cleaned and greased (with high temp grease). A straight forward (but mucky) job för a weekend after noon!
//NiSk
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Feel the discs John, not the wheels, but be carefull incase they are hot.
Dave
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

the differance in wear you have mentioned is not enought to worrie about.
what you can do is to remove the pads and clean the calipers where the pads sit, also grease the back of the pads and the ends where they sit in the calipers(do not grease the pad linnings). i always use copper grease for breaks.
hope this helps.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Ah, so the calipers can be taken out and greased. I might just try that. Can't find any copper grease locally but managed to buy a can of lithium high temperature bearing grease. OK Dave, I'll try to feel the disc after a brief run to see how hot/warm it is. Thanks for all your help, guys.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

After a brief 5-10 minutes run on the carriageway and trying not to brake too much, felt the front rims, they were warm and not hot, so I guess the pads are not sticking but spun loose when the car is moving.