BX Tyres - Recommendations? - Now Gearsets!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

BX Tyres - Recommendations? - Now Gearsets!

Post by philhoward »

Crunch time...
The BX is about to wear its new set of alloys, off a Peugeot 405 Mi16; 6x14's, by the way. The manuals recommend either 185/60 or 175/65's for a BX GTi, yet the 405's had 195/60's fitted!
I was going to go middle of the road and fit 185/60's..any recommendations which won't break the bank (like Michelin!?!!)? I found Conti Eco-Contacts excellent on the wife's old 106; anyone tried them on a BX?
Outright handling isn't an issue; a good all round (lol) tyre however is.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hi.I have firestone firehawks 770 on mine,185/65/15h.Been using them 4 years now.The fronts on mine have lasted 15k now,backs 30k.I do a lot of towing and do drive enthuthasticly(?)and their great.They only cost £40 each,not bad when a `buget`tyre is about the same.Hope this helps.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Having tried both Firestone and Michelins on BXs: Don't be tight! Buy the Michelins and get the full pleasure of the car. The difference is less than £100 and they'll last for years.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Amazing how things change from Country to Country.
Over here you'd be flat out giving any Citroen owner Michelin tyres these days. I won't touch them if they were giving them away. The ones we get are made in places like Brazil & Thailand and have done nothing to enhance their reputation amongst Citroen owners out here. Not only that, but the prices are way too high for the quality & performance of the product in comparison to their opposition.
I've found that the Falken range we get out here work particularly well on BXs from several viewpoints. Comfort, noise and roadholding in all conditions.
My 16V has a mix 'n match that works well; Dunlop A5 LeMans on the front & Falken directionals on the rear.
I suppose though that we get different conditions weather wise and no doubt our tyres possibly come from different places than yours although the Falkens all come from Japan which is one of their attractions. At least there's an element of consistency there we don't seem to get with a lot of the others; Michelins included.
Alan S
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I'm a bit curious here because I thought the 405 Mi16 used 15-inch alloys, but don't mind me.
As regards your tyre question have a look at the Goodyear Hydragrip, which is new out. It replaces the Eagle Ventura, and that is the best tyre I have ever used, plus its cheaper than the Michelin. The name gives away what its all about, the best wet weather prformance I've ever seen, plus excellent dry grip and they give great feel when driving enthusiastically, and as important they wear slowly too.
If you don't believe me, have a look here at private user's ratings of the Eagle Ventura. Oh and my second choice is also there, the Vredestein.
http://www.tyretest.com
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

I think Michelins vary across their range too………..
When I picked up my French BX I thought I was lucky that the old gent who sold it to me had just fitted brand new Michelin tyres all round before he decided to give up driving.
Branded Michelin ‘Energy’, their wet weather performance is the best laxative available hereabouts. You’d get more cornering grip with an STP-coated snowboard and their ability to generate those exciting little sphincter-clenching moments is second only to playing Russian roulette with a sub machine gun. [xx(]
I understand from reading this forum that Citroens perform best on the tyre they were designed around – and most of the French Cit drivers I know who actually care fit nothing else. Just be aware that Michelins are not all created equal – I know, I have the skid marks to prove it! [:D][:I][}:)]
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

on my old ZX TD i fitted Peugeot GTI alloys(15 inch) with yokohoma avs sport on the front(directional) and goodyear eagles on the back, handling was great!couldnt fault it atall, try mytyres.co.uk for cheap tyres, i has 195/50V15's, they are extremely cheap aswell for they are so common, i payed 35 quid each i think.
Dan
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

On my 6x14s I have had 185/60s good perhaps buzzy on motorway 195/60s felt too tall geared on 1.7TD okay with 1.9TD
Stewart
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

My TZD Turbo has now got 165/70 Michelin MXVs on the front, it had crappy cheap tyres on when I got it and these have transformed the handling.
I think the GTI originally came with 185/60 MXVs. Only think is I dunno if you can still get them new, I got mine out of the free ads paper...
Jonathan.
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

My BX has 165/70 x 14 tyres at present. It has Michelin's on the rear and Barum's on the front. When I wear them out I will change to 175/65 on same rims. The rolling diameter will be nearly identical but more rubber on the road. This is a popular upgrade on BX's I have seen in New Zealand.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Scott,
I have a 175s on the rear of a TRs we bought recently (as well as a few other sizes) and I find that when I drop the suspension or go over a large bump/speed hump type, that the tyre rubs on the outer part of the guard just slightly; and no, I don't need rear arm bearings (before someone makes the suggestion)[;)]
The car has had a hit in the rear at sometime in its life which may have some bearing on it, but thought I'd mention it as I've found most BXs are pretty thin on clearance on the rear guard outer edges.
Alan S
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My BX DTR Turbo estate has always had 175/65 x 14's on it and has never given any problems. I have a road test of an early turbo with 165/70's on it and the comment there is that it undrsteered as the tyres were too small. I thought that Citroen put the larger ones on to counter that criticism but a neighbour of mine has just acquired a TGD Turbo which had 165/70's on it.
jeremy
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Lots of recommendations...and I still can't make my mind up! Trying to get perhaps a little more economy by raising the gearing as well, and the tyres are possibly the cheapest way to do it (unless try the 5th gear mod the 16V owners do).
At 20mph/1000, It's very buzzy on a long trip; anyone got thoughts on going up a profile; 185/65 or 185/70's, even? It should pull it alright, being a GTi
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the GTi 8 valve has a 5th gear of about 23 MPH per 1000 rpm and the 16 valve is about 20 mph per 1000 rpm.
jeremy
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

This GTi (it's a '91 but a bit of an inbetween, running Motronic MP3.1 injection, with no Cat, D6D engine) definately runs 20-21/1000 - 4000rpm is somewhere around 80-85mph. Perhaps it has had a 16V box fitted at some point?