Xantia 1998 facelift 1.9td with aircon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotsupnow
My Cars:

Xantia 1998 facelift 1.9td with aircon

Post by wotsupnow »

I can't get the bottom radiator hose out as its rusted. Do you know where it goes to ? it appears to under the wheelarch. The hose has weird clip in fittings, top hose came off easy, I've got the clip off but just won't budge so I'm considering sawing through the plastic housing and chiseling the plastic away until it comes out. If I buy a new one, does it come with the end ready made ? and where does the other end connect. It's really hard to get to due to the aircon pipes.
Haynes says it goes to the water pump ( have they actually looked at one ? ). I've got a new rad waiting so it doesn't matter if I break the old one, I'm just bothered about getting this pipe to seal again.
Pete
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hi,had same bloody thing on mine 2ys ago,took me 8hrs all in!!On mine,19td a/c,hose go`s allway round 2 back of engine.A right pain in arse.After much swearing and cut hands got clip off.Replaced clip with good old jubilie clip.Easy to get off now.Sorry i cant b of more help.Haynes not as good as the used to b!
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

Non-Haynes method of rad replacement..........
Bottom plug-in hose was rusted solid, removed offside front wheel and wheel arch cover, released bottom hose from back of engine and bottom of expansion bottle, carefully withdrew radiator with hose attached, smashed plastic housing to release hose, carefully filed all the rust off the connector so it would fit into the new rad, put hose back on car, then fitted rad, a tiny smear of vaseline on the O-ring at end of connector and it slipped in by hand , filled up with ready mixed distilled water/antifreeze. Once I wiped all the blood off the paintwork I took it for a run and then left it overnight, following day did a few more miles then checked water level, it was spot-on !
much relieved I now need to find out why only the nearside fan works.
It has 3 relays under a cover on the front 2 green and one black, these test ok and all the 12v feeds are there, operate them using a bit of wire and both fans spin half or full speed. It is wired as per the Haynes diagram for the 1998 on DT with aircon, but it shows it as controlled by the refrigeration temp control unit which isn't mentioned anywhere else in the book, anyone know where it is and what it looks like ? NB a green and black relay are connected to same control wire which indeed only runs the n/s fan, the other green relay will birng on both fans in series or if both control wires are connected to 12v brings both fans on full, so I reckon theres a break in the wire off the single relay or the control unit is stuffed.
Pete