xantia wet floor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

xantia wet floor

Post by np »

Hi again.Not to worried about this as its been like it since i got the car(2 1/2 years)The passenger foot well is wet,a common prob i belive.Had the front panel resealed at a specalist last year(waste of money)still leaking.Now the panel at foot of w`screen is cracking in places so would like to get it replaced.Would this cure leak?I belive it leaks into heater intake,cured on later mk 2 models??As said,no probs with it,rust etc,but would like to get it fixed.Cheers.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Your heater matrix has gone. A very common fault, but also expensive to put right as the matrix replacement is a dash out job.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hi,cant be as heater all works fine and use`s/never needs no water.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I'll put 50p on its the drain hole in the suttle clogged with leaves & rubbish causing the water to back-up and run through the fan housing all over the floor.
The best way to clear it out is to remove the back half of the passanger's side arch liner and reach up, however be careful as the alarm is in the inner wing & you'll probably get an armfull of water - nice when your wearing overalls!!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Ok thanks.I`ll have a look at w`end.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I had the same problem on a 98 VSX Estate and like you the heater was 'working' OK and it didn't appear to use/lose any water. However, the heater matrix had gone. My what a nice job, NOT!
Do you get a smell after a few minutes? Also check the 'lubricity' of the dampness on the carpet, if it feels somewhat greasy then both of these factors point to heater matrix problems.
If not count your lucky stars and clear out those leaves/rubbish!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hi Richard.No smell,just clean water.More noticable after heavy rain.Then in summer months/long dry spells thoughout year,it drys out with no more water `till heavy rain again.
Thanks
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I always taste mystery water, coolant has a very distinctive flavour
Stewart
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Sunroof drain tubes?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`m giving it a bit of TLC tommorrow,i`ll check the drain holes, intake,water
Thanks
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

I`m giving it a bit of TLC tommorrow,i`ll check the drain holes, intake,water
Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I had the same problem and only figured it out after a long time! After heavy rain there was alway water in the o/s footwell. I read all the subject on the forum but couldn't find the problem. After a car wash I noticed the "shampoo" coming in at the passengers footwell. After this I check it and broke the "matrix" on top of the air intake to remove all the leaves, dirt, etc. to get the drain open. Since then ............ NO WATER ANYMORE in the passengers footwell!
Give it a shot! If needed I can make some pics tomorrow of what I did and post it!
Cheers,
John
Xantia 1.8i 16v, 1997, 109k mls
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

come on then neil who was right??
FenXantia
My Cars:

Post by FenXantia »

Just a quick question has the windscreen been replaced?
My xantia had the same passenger footwell pond experience after my windscreen was replaced, sorted now with a tube of silicone from H'fords.
Just my 2p[:)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sunroof drain holes all clear,pour water in,comes out behind frt mudflap 2 secs later.
Water has no taste,so is clean(yes!i`ve got antifreeze)so cant b matrix.
Upon closer inspection,intake is clean of leaves & muck.
The black panel at bottom of w`screen that goes under the bonnet is completly unstuck.By pouring water over it,water runs underneath it,into air intake,then inside till it finds a way in.Pollen filter housing looking at the rusty screws.
Looks like I maybe right!!!
Dont think w`screens ever been replaced,but has a load of chips now.4 the sake of £50 excess,i may have it done,& a new panel.
Thanks all 4 your help,i`ll keep you informed of progress.Cheers...
sorany
My Cars:

Post by sorany »

Yes I have just had the same problem on my Xantia. The Haynes manual (for once) was totally accurate with their step by step instructions and I would not recommend attempting the job without it.
Be ready with labels and/or Tipex to mark the wiring plugs and allow plenty of time for the job. Re-seal the scuttle panel to the windscreen with clear silicone.