ZX rear brake hydraulics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Simon H
My Cars:

ZX rear brake hydraulics

Post by Simon H »

Hello All
I have been giving my ZX's rear brakes a good spring clean, new shoes/cylinders etc. I managed to successfully replace the duff n/s brake cylinder, the o/s one I cannot change as the hydraulic pipe nut which screws into the cylinder has rounded off :( I had given it a good soaking with penoil & used a brake nut spanner but it still rounded off. Why is it made out of brass? Anyway the car is all back together & working OK but I would like to sort this out, do I get a complete new bit of pipe (to the flexible hose) or is it possible to get a small repair section made & grafted onto the old pipe? If this is so can I buy a kit to do this?
Thanks!
Simon H
96 ZX1.4i
Suzuki Bandit 600s
MZ TS250/1
MZ TS125
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Simon,
You can get a hand held pipe flaring kit to make up your own pipes. This tool allows you to flare the end of the pipe according to the fit required. Most motor factors should have theses along with the copper tubing. It may take a few practice gos before you get the flare exactly as you need it. Check if the threaded end will fit into your new cylinder before removing the old one though. Follow the pipe back to a straight section where the flaring tool can be used.
I know here in Ireland you must use the correct fittings ( ie not compression) otherwise the car will not pass the equivalent of your MOT.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its easier just to buy a new brake pipe from Citroen, they are only about £6.
Simon H
My Cars:

Post by Simon H »

Thanks Jon
I will do that!
Simon H
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I had an incident recently with my ZX16v the front offside pipe had chaffed and had to be replaced. I went to Citroen who said it came in two pieces and would cost nearly £30, plus the fact it had to come from France by horse and cart!![:)]( An unknown delivery time!)
I decided to replace it myself with pipe and a flaring kit...it wasn't two pieces, and it was cheaper to by the kit and pipe. Imagine the fun I would have had trying to join two pipes with nothing to join them with[V]!
I realise mine may be an isolated incident..but also remember that Citroen pipes are normally steel, and were fitted when the car was bare bones.
The pipe I replaced went under the battery tray from the ABS unit, weaved through two sets of pipes along the rear bulkhead, dissapeared behind the engine and came out under the wheel arch. Try doing that with a length of pre-formed steel pipe!!