xantia spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

xantia spheres

Post by np »

I need to replace all spheres on my 97 vsx est td.are the accum spheres the same as the others?Is it a case of buying 8 the same,or are the accum spheres different?
Jon

Post by Jon »

No, the accumulator is different. Although it looks like a sphere it does not have a damper like the spheres at all 4 corners of the car, the accumulator is there simply to store system presuure at 62 bar. That's GSF ref N45304.
I'll tell you the other spheres you need but not sure if your car is Xantia or XM.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Xantia.133k.i`ve done 33k of those inc lots of caravan towing.rides been getting harsher now 4 a while.high speed ride ok,low speed firm.also sinking on back end when switched off,always has done,but worse now.rides level,but a lot lower all round than other ests.is that because its got the hydractive/sport system as aposed 2 normal system?thanks
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

On your Xantia as it has hydractive suspension, it will require two front(same), two rear(same), two hydractive, one front one rear (same), one antisink sphere and one accumulator sphere which are the same on all Xantias.
Eight in total but five different types.
If you have not done this job before then invest or borrow the correct sphere removal tool otherwise you will struggle to say the least.
When removong the rear spheres, put the suspension on its max height with the engine running, put axle stands or ramps under the car (ESSENTIAL if you value your life) then undo the rear spheres by just half a turn, no more in order to release them. If you don't then chances are that you will twist and break the supply pipes.
Having done this then lower the suspension with the engine running and use a 12mm ring spanner to undo the pressure release bolt near to the accumulator sphere by again no more than one turn (to avoid losing the ball bearing) then turn the engine off.
It will be well worth replacing the LHM fluid and cleaning the LHM filters whilst doing this job in order to get the best from your new spheres.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hi,thanks 4 help.I`ll have a look at w`end and post again if any probs.
Neil.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hi again.I`ve had a look on my car.I take it that the 2 spheres on top of front struts are the same as the 2 on the back nearest the wheels.The 1 mounted on accum on bottom of engine is the accum.The 1 at bottom of rad nearest gearbox is the hydractive sphere.
On the back,1 in the middle of car is the anti sink sphere,and the 1 mounted off center on drivers side is the hydractive.?????
Haynes manuals not what they used to be,no mention of spheres being different.Thanks
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

Hi again.I`ve had a look on my car.I take it that the 2 spheres on top of front struts are the same as the 2 on the back nearest the wheels.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
They look the same - but they're not. Use Andyspares list to find the correct spheres for your particular car.