Xantia oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

higgy
My Cars:

Xantia oil leak

Post by higgy »

My car is a 94 1.9TD I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from somewhere behind the auxillary belt tensioner. It does'nt seem to be the bottom crank oil seal,as far as I can see it's coming from one of the bolts that hold the oil seal carrier in place.Has anyone else had a leak from this area?
higgy
My Cars:

Post by higgy »

Just an update.
I have today taken off all the belt covers and crank pulley.The leak is coming from somewhere behind the cambelt tensioner or the engine mounting bracket. anybody any ideas?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If I remember correctly the oil feed to the camshaft passes from the block to the head at the right front corner of the head (timing belt end) viewed from o/s, more than likely it's escaping via head gasket from this oilway since it's at pressure.
Good luck
Dave
higgy
My Cars:

Post by higgy »

I hoped it wasn't the head gasket, Oh never mind. Is it worth trying to tweak the head bolts a bit more?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Tightening head bolt's further wont make any difference, the gasket wont have anything left to give after seven or Eight years, once oil or water gets through it's curtains.
The best you can do is make positive identification of where it's coming from then get stuck in, unless of course you can live with it untill it let's go for good.
Can't imagine where else oil can get out round there that high up apart from rocker cover, but you would spot a leak there easey.
Dave
higgy
My Cars:

Post by higgy »

Thanks for the help dave, I think i'll leave it a bit longer.Sounds like a job for a nice sunny weekend.