Help kangoo - wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davey
My Cars:

Help kangoo - wont start

Post by davey »

sorry bout renault stuff but hopefully somone here may be able to help further.
renault kangoo 1.9d 98/s
turn key to ign posn and oil, batt & glo flash (should be on solid) then turn to start and nothing happens.
it is a jaeger dash similar to some cits.
it has an ecu but only controls basic fcns (unlike hdi)
has anyone seen a problem like this ... it appears there is somthing far amiss before we even get to trying to turn the starter like somthing that is inhibiting the solenoid from operating and gives the wierd flahing dash lights.
any help most appreciated.
dave
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

another thing my old man just told me ... ecu warning light flashes also! they always omit the obvious!
on this type of engine if a faulty engine sensor is detected will it prevent starting? i believe its very similar to 1.9d on berlingos with the updated dw8 engine.
thanks in advance.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Dave -
If this '98 Kangoo is still a fairly "simple" 1.generation model, with no too much advanced electrics, then I'd say you have either a battery or battery cabling (pole clamps) problem.
As a diesel first off starts powering the glowplugs, with key in ignition position, a large current (at least 40Amps) is drawn by the glowplugs. This may cause the glowplug timer relay oscillate, if the battery power is weak for any reason (above), and then the instrument lamps flashes accordingly.
That would be my first try not knowing the car.
Before disconnecting battery for any checks/service, be sure you have any radio/alarm codes written down.