Xantia - immobiliser

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qqsgb
My Cars:

Xantia - immobiliser

Post by qqsgb »

Does anybody have a circuit diagram for a 1.9 TD Xantia showing the wiring around the immobiliser - I have a fault here, and my only source of information (Haynes) doesn't admit to the existance of the unit. I think I'm right in assuming that the black plastic box on the end of the diesel injection pump and covering the stop solenoid <i>is</i> the immobiliser!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes -
You are right.
But unfortunately it's impossible to do anything with this unit !
- because it is an <i>immobiliser</i>, it does exactly that : <i>immobilising the car</i>
Try the forum search facility on the topic immobiliser.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

No, thats just a plastic cover protecting the cable entry into the steel the security cover, prizing it off gets you nowhere.
The actual immobiliser module is clamped to the stop solenoid, difficult to get at even when the pump is removed from the engine, which it has to be to get anywhere with it.
What is the fault you have with it.
Dave
qqsgb
My Cars:

Post by qqsgb »

Originally, the fault was that the engine would not stop running when the ignition was turned off. Hence had to get to and change the stop solenoid. Managed to do this by attacking the plastic/metal box and removing it, without we think damaging the circuit board inside. Alongside this, there was a long-standing problem which we have so far ignored where the fans run fast when you first turn the ignition on and doesn't turn off until a few minutes after stopping the engine - this we think is a faulty temperature solenoid.
What we have now is the fan problem still (not surprising we haven't done anything to cure it yet), but sometimes the engine refuses to start, and trying to hand prime the fuel is difficult suggesting the solenoid is holding in. Then after waiting a while, it will start normally - and run fine.
The reason I was asking about circuit diagrams is not that I want to delve into the electronics of the immobiliser, but I want to see what external to it could possibly affect it, for example, could the faulty temperature sensor be telling the engine management that the engine is too hot to start and therefore hold the stop solenoid shut.
Another possibility which we need to eliminate is whether the air in the fuel feed to the injectors is causing the problem - we need to get in there and bleed the air out.
My guess is that we are going to have to do all three:
1. bleed the air
2. change the temp sensor
3. change the immobiliser
If any of you know where I can get the two parts I would be grateful for a message.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is no need to bleed air on the pressure side. It bleeds quickly.
Instead you should be looking for any cause of air on the pump intake.
No temp sensor would prevent the engine starting or running. If a temp sensor fitted, it will decide the glowplug timing, and simply glow the plugs shortly on hot engine.
I'm pretty sure you're a facing a standard air leak problem on the fuel intake side. It's such a common problem on diesels, giving starting troubles.
If you make yourself dead sure you have a fuel supply with no air leaks, and the glowplugs are functional, the engine will start. There is no elaborate electric circuit controlling the starting - other than the immobiliser itself ...