Which drop links

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Which drop links

Post by Stempy »

So...... GSF drop links are a tenner, Citroen items are thirty quid. Are the GSF ones up to the job or is it worth paying out for the genuine article?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I've just bought some oil filters this afternoon at GSF, all packed in Citroen boxes. Had I gone farther along the road to Lovekyn's Citroen Parts Dept., I would probably have paid twice the price for the same article. Yes! the GSF drop links will be up to the job.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

There are two sizes of threads on the links, early ones (>12/94) are 10mm and later ones (1/95>) are 12mm, if you need the later ones I would recomend the N42264, they don't come with new nuts.
Dave
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Just picked one up from GSF ( they only had one ) and it has nuts with it. Haven't checked the thread sizes yet but its a N42265 I think. This is to fit a '99 V6.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well, I just spent a lovely evening fitting the new drop link. Had to resort to the usual BF&I to get the old one off but managed it in the end with the aid of blowtorch, hammer, molegrips etc. A quick test drive and so far so good, no knocking noises. Will have to do the other side at the weekend as GSF now have another in stock.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Aaarrgghhh..... tried to fit the other drop link this afternoon, all was going well until I tried to fit the new GSF one and one of the bolts snapped. Couldn't believe it. Used the same torque wrench settings as the other three @ 52ft/lb and bang! sheared straight off[xx(] so now I've got to mess about trying to get a replacement from GSF tomorrow and I'm carless untill it's sorted. Perhaps I should have spent out on Citroen items after all.
Still, on a brighter note I discovered that it's dead easy to get at the fog lamp bulbs by just removing the headlamps. Far easier than removing the bumper.[8D]
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

You do have fun. I used an angle grinder (carefully) to remove a drop link bolt. By the way 52 ft/lb sounds rather high. Check in a Haynes, I would say 32 ft/lb is more likely ??
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Fun? Fun! bleedin' Citroens, think I'll go and get meself a nice Focus.
Haynes specify 52ft/lb for the M12 studs but then what do Haynes know? Next one goes on finger tight!!!!
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

I didn't bother trying to undo my old ones, I used a junior hacksaw pressed against the washer and went through the nut and half the stud, a quick turn then with the spanner and it sheers off, both sides done in half an hour including removing wheels and blocking up etc.
Pete
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I had to resort to the angle grinder on the last bolt. Happy to report that GSF supplied a replacement drop link FOC and it's now fitted and working fine. I reduced the torque wrench setting to 40 ft/lb though .
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Stempy</i>

Fun? Fun! bleedin' Citroens, think I'll go and get meself a nice Focus.
Let me know, I quite liked the look of your Xantia yesterday, yet another one to the fleet.
Make sure you get the misfire sorted first though[:D]
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

There's spooks about. Last night I comment on anti-roll bar drop links and tonight - gI get a bit of a scraping noise and I find the ball joint at one end of one of mine has become detached! Typical.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Hope you don't develop a misfire too! You wouldn't happen to know which are cylinders 2 & 6 would you? They obviously bear no relation to the numbering on the coil pacK and leads.