Berlingo MUX horn/washers - Wheeler?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Berlingo MUX horn/washers - Wheeler?

Post by Jon »

Ok this Berlingo Mk2 HDi I have, theres 2 really irritating (related?) potantially dangerous faults which I <i>think</i> must be caused by the BSI unit.
If you hit the horn it can take 5 seconds to sound after you've actually hit the switch. If you pull the stalk for the washers there is a similar, sometimes longer delay before it thinks about squirting some water on the screen.
I understand that the commands of the switch i.e. "Sound the horn!" must go through the BSI unit, and found Info Diag no 156 about malfunctioning horn on MUX cars which sort of makes sense to me.
Questions
1) Does anyone else with a late Berlingo, Xsara Picasso etc etc with Multiplex experience anything similar?
2) Is this something that could be cured with software downloads or do we just have to live with it. Its pretty poor.
[?][B)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You're going to haft to have a diagnostics run to find this fault. The CANBUS system has two independant multiplexing buses, a fast bus and a not-so-fast bus. In case the fast bus stops working (on any particular ECU), the slow bus takes over information messaging. This also raises a fault code, which a diagnostic pass should detect.
//NiSk
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Jon, on my Bingo there is a slight delay for the wipers when the washers are operated, no more than a second, I think its quite sensible as it allows time for the pump to put water on the screen before the wipers scratch it.
However, the horn sounds almost immediately.
I have noticed a slight delay on all of the electrics, obvously due to the multiplex system.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Richard,
The delay on pulling the stalk for the washers is over 5 seconds, and the horn no better (aside, why the hell did they move it from the end of the lighting stalk, where its been since BX and Visa D days for about 20 years anyway, confusing!), don't know why they moved the horn switch to the steering wheel. Your "Blingo" seems quicker to react than mine, I think I am going to have to book the thing in under warranty, Nisk makes some very valid points re the system bus..
Zx Horn and washers still instant, unlike the rest of the old girl.[:)][:0]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

has it always been like this ? there is a slight delay for the wipers to sweep when the washers are operated (which i think is quite a good idea) to allow the screen to be soaked,do you get an instant reaction when you operate the wipers without the washers ?
as for the horn there is a slight delay maybe 2 seconds max though.
there are 4 MUX networks & both these features are on the slowest one (body VAN 1),the other networks dont take over if one stops working (at least not on this system) it will just go into downgraded/back-up mode (your headlamps would come on & wipers start to go intermittant).
your right the signal goes from the switch to the BSI which passes the signal to the under bonnet fusebox which then operates the horn but i would think it is unlikely to be a BSI fault.the wipers seem to be working normally but 5 secs sounds to long for the horn.
possible poor switching contacts at the airbag/horn push ? when you press the horn & it doesent sound can you hear a relay clicking in either the BSI or the fusebox under the bonnet ?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Wheeler
Cheers mate, you really must tell me your first name one day.
The wipers, when you <b>don't</b> pull the stalk for the washers, operate immediately.
The delay in pulling the RH stalk to operate the washers can be up-to 8 seconds, I will carry out a more detailed check to see if I can hear any relay, there is nothing, no pump or wiper sweep in this delay period. The Horn delay is a worrying 3 to 5 seconds. Its always been like this.
Everything else electrical functions well, and I see no sign that it is in backup mode. The only other thing that I can add if it helps is that sometimes when I turn the ignition key the central display states "Eco Mode"!! I have no idea what that means either.
Cheers mate.
PS <i>Maybe my idea of a C5 HDi to replace the ZX wasn't such a good one!!!!</i>
Jon
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I've just checked my horn again and it is almost instant in operation, the 'delay' is very slight, and the wipers little different from 'other' cars, so it appears you have a warranty claim coming up Jon.
'Eco Mode' relates to the radio only being able to operate for 30 mins, to avoid flattening the battery. It would be helpful if the handbook mentioned what 'Eco mode' was!!!!!!
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Just thought id say the 'Eco mode' can be adjusted. It has to be done on Diag tool at main dealers, at is set at default .30. Its in the BSI and easily done with the tool.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

yes economy mode is just a battery saving feature,not just related to the radio,if you just leave the ignition on for too long or an interior light it will shut the BSI down to prevent flattening the battery,whilst in eco-mode lots of things will not work,eg wipers & electric windows (so dont panic if this happens [:D] ),to get the car out of eco-mode just start the car.
Nick