AX: engine swop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

AX: engine swop

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

hi everyone...
how much would my insurance premium increase do you trekon if i were to swop my 954cc injection engine witha engine out of a early GT??any ideas??
Dan
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Probably double, and definately be more than a standard AX GT would be...
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I'd be very surprised if you got offered cover at all.
Going faster isn't the problem, it's the upgrades that'll need to happen in the stopping and handling departments that'll set any insurance company twitching. Then you'll need a full engineers report (not cheap), and they you'll still get stitched up with the premium.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

A standard GT/GTi is only about £850 tops today, so why bother? I'm sure the conversion wouldn't be that straightforward, and as mentioned above, the GT is VERY different in areas other than the engine.
Keep a look-out for an original good one - there are quite a few about, but many have been thrashed or modded.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Do u mean your planningon putting the GT engine into another AX? or a ZX? you wont need any engineers reports & upgrading the suspension is fairly easy.
However with the car your planningon putting the engine into being an Injection car you'd be better swapping for a VTR/S engine.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ZXturbo_Aura</i>

hi everyone...
how much would my insurance premium increase do you trekon if i were to swop my 954cc injection engine witha engine out of a early GT??any ideas??
Dan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

hi,
have been looking into the conversion a lot, the vtr seems the best option like was said by cheeselicking, how much would you think this would cost? also, gmc motorsport website says that my gearbox will be sufficient, however its only got 4 gears! :( i have a 5 speed box from a 'N' reg pug 106 1.1i, that should fit? thanks for the help,,
dan
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I would have thought a complete engine and box from a Saxo VTR/VTS would be the easiest bet, as the cheesesliceking says. Doubt your 1.0 gearbox would be up to the task, even though it may physically fit.
There's normally complete units going on ebay cheaply, especially VTR ones.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

but imagine the VTS lump hooked up to the 1.0 gear box with its short ratios!! wey hey!![:p]
but yes, if it fitted i'd imagine it wouldnt last long!!