Berlingo Owners - Beware

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davey
My Cars:

Berlingo Owners - Beware

Post by davey »

Maybe i'm just unlucky with the damn piece of crap...
Two broken front coil springs in the space of 4 months!
both springs failed about 2 coils from the bottom with the shear point being sharp.
1st time went thru a pothole, thought i had a puncture, after stopping found nothing wrong, drove home, reversed into drive and the point of the coil impaled the tyre and burst it.
the other day i started to reverse on driveway (feels like front pads binding - but really its the point trying to eat rubber). fortunately stopped in time to save tyre. dont know how this one broke, it was just waiting for me ......
'point' here is - get one of them failing - change both at the same time.
had youngster in back of car on pothole one - dread to think what would have happened if front tyre was impaled at speed......
berlingo year: 2000 miles: 73000
"tried to burn it the other day but the rain was too heavy and missus told me off....."
dave.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

You must be unlucky as isn't the suspension van based and very tough?
I can't remember which cars the Berlingo shares suspension components with, but I am sure that spring breakage is rare.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Thanks for sharing this, Dave. I'm glad that there was no unhappy ending.
It makes hydropneumatic systems look sensible! :-))
rg
mikeflin
My Cars:

Post by mikeflin »

i am new to this forum and have just seen this post . both my front springs snapped within 3 days of each other ,the first while backing out of my drive which i repaired myself,i also checked the other side and it appeared fine. 3 days later while travelling at60mph with my wife and son in the car it snapped ,luckily the dual carraigeway was deserted, as is went through the tyre, managed to pull to the side of the road(bum nipping time).. i agree with davey and wish i had changed both springs at the same time.both springs had snapped at the same place as daveys . my car is a year 2000 berlingo multispace with 45k miles . thanks. ps,am not very good with a keyboard