What's It Worth?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rg
My Cars:

What's It Worth?

Post by rg »

Folks,
There is an immaculate blue BX 1.7 (TGD?) K-reg with around 77K, 2 owners and FSH for sale in our neighbourhood.
What's it worth? It really is tidy inside and out.
Please tell me that it is not languishing in the sub-1k banger zone!
rg
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rg</i>

Please tell me that it is not languishing in the sub-1k banger zone!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry........
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

£600-£850 - approximately.
In my humble opinion!
Dan
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Errm,
It was on at £850.00...
...and it is now at £650.00...
(shucks, I was going to buy at £650.00 and sell at £1100.00)
arry_b.... you have my admiration for running a TS250,and using your family oven.
rg
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Does its monetary value really matter? Buy it at £600 ish and you should have at least a couple of years of comfy cheap motoring out of it.. What more can one ask? and at that age it should be an ecu free zone. :-D
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

James UK,
Sadly, as much I'd love it, I would not get budgetary approval from my financial controller. If you see what I mean. An XM and a 4x4 are probably enough...
But if you know of anyone...
rg
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

rg,
Sadly everyone is right, this is worth very little on the open market.
The problem is that very few "average" motorists will buy a BX for budget motoring....even at £250 it might not find a taker!
Of course there are those of us who know they make damn good cars but there are far more BXs about than "we" can possibly buy.
Hence the very real prospect that a car like this can fail its next MOT and get driven to the scrappy as an uneconomic repair.
That despite a mileage, history and condition that (sounds like it anyway) would be acceptable on a 1998 Xantia.
Regards,
David
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Thanks, David,
There is a chap down Swansea way on the XM group who, so I have been told, has around 50 Cits of various age and type in his yard and outbuildings.
Please stop me before the mania gets this bad...
Thanks, all..
rg
colinhorsham
My Cars:

Post by colinhorsham »

Why are Citroens so cheap? I can't believe how good my Xantia is for the money I paid for it.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

DON'T SAY IT TOO LOUD!
Mr Average motorist has been frightened to death of Citroens, and hydraulic ones especially (mainly by the anti-french motoring press). Let the poor fools keep on thinking that they are just a load of trouble so that we can keep on enjoying the ultimate in economy comfort!
//NiSk
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I think you must be right about Mr Public being scared of "real " Cits: I've just seen a 1999 Xantia HDI with 79k go on eBay for £2050. Amazing. Compare with a Passat; I expect you'd be lucky to get an equivalent for £5k!!
Simon Canfer
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I have to admit, my first question when offered my ZX was "has it got that micky-mouse hydrowhatsit suspension?" I almost certainly would not have bought it if the answer had been yes, and would have missed out on what has been the best all round car, for cost, reliability, comfort, and economy, I ever bought.. [^]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Certainly the citroen hydraulics have put me off in the past and I deliberately boought my BX TD specifically to revive my interest in cars and mechanical things.
Object achieved? - well i like to think I now have a good knowledge of hydraulics, reasonably modern diesels, ABS, . . . as well as having a good, comfortable, versatile and economical car.
We also have a ZX 1.9D which is a really excellent vehicle and of course just that bit simpler. I would have bought another BX for my wife but she thought the BX was too big for her at that time and really wanted a 106/saxo but we couldn't fimd one that was sound at the right price etc. We weren't really contemplating a ZX until we were offered it at a good price.
jeremy