How do I find out about Xantia specifications?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Daniel B
My Cars:

How do I find out about Xantia specifications?

Post by Daniel B »

Is my best route just to buy some old brochures of e-bay?
I'm particuarly interested in the facelifted model, so 1998/R plate onwards.
I'm interested to find out the difference in spec between an SX and an LX, or the Forte and Exclusive etc etc.
Any good web pages around - have done a google but not found anything too helpful.
Cheers
Dan
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Best to ask here....[:D]
LX has front electric windows, elect sunroof, basic stereo with front speakers only, early ones had 'rough' seats!
SX added better stereo, ABS, elec rear windows, elec mirrors, front fogs.
VSX adds even better stereo and hydractive suspension and alloys.
Activa in class of its own with active roll control suspension, special alloys and body kit, 150 BHP turbo petrol engine only in UK, horrendous fuel and insurance bills!
Air con was available as option early, but probably standard after facelift. I think that LX / SX / VSX more or less became Forte, Desire, and Exclusive later on. Air bags increased as time went on - most facelifted cars will have at least 4 I think.
If you get the option, SX is lowest spec to go for really, but I have no real complaints about my 95 LX.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Richard,
thanks for that - I like my toys, to a degree, so I agree it would be an SX upwards.
Though the Forte/Desire/Exclusive are confusing me!
But your explanation makes the most sense so far, so thanks for that!
How do you find your 1.9TD?
I've heard people raving about the Hdi engines, but obviously these are a bit more cash.
Is your 1.9TD a 90bhp or 110bhp model - or were they all 90bhp in 95?
Cheers
Dan
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Dan,
All the 1.9's are 90 BHP or thereabouts - later models with CAT etc were a couple of BHP down. 2.1 TD's were a bored out version of the old indirect injection engine, with a 12v head, giving 110 BHP - these are few are far between! HDi comes in 90 and 110 BHP guise. The 1.9 is OK - no speed demon mind, but pretty good. You have to work it hard to keep it loosened up, and it needs plenty of right foot if you want to get past people in a hurry! MPG not all that great for a diesel but almost always the right side of 40 (compared to my Dad's 1.8 petrol that is usually the wrong side of 30). It is a very refined cruiser though - unbelievably quiet after the BX!
I had a go in my Mate's HDI 110 - and that was superb, but at 4 grand, and ins group 13, out of my price range at the moment! He reckoned he was getting about 48 MPG, and he's not best at extracting economy from cars[}:)]!
If you're looking for a nice refined cruiser at a very good price, you'll not be disappointed with a Xantia[^]. Watch out for the clutch, radiator, clutch clip and heater matrix though (read the numerous posts on here....)! Shop around as the good ones are probably no different in price to the bad ones, but will hammer your wallet and patience!
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Dan
Had a look on an auction web site that I'm registered with and there's not many Xantia estates about - of the 26 Xantias on there only 3 were estates:
CITROEN XANTIA 1.9 LX TD Estate, GREEN, 5 Doors, Manual Transmission, Diesel, 133765 Miles, Margin.
P Registered 24-10-1996 Tewkesbury
30-04-2004
CITROEN XANTIA 2.0 FORTE HDI 110 Estate, SILVER, 5 Doors, Manual Transmission, Diesel, 41609 Miles, Margin.
Y Registered 26-03-2001 Measham
21-05-2004
CITROEN XANTIA 2.0 I SX 16V Estate, SILVER, 5 Doors, Manual Transmission, Petrol, 147853 Miles, Margin.
P Registered 29-08-1996 Birmingham
29-04-2004
IS004
Guide price for the cheapies was about £500-600. Low mileage HDI obviously substantially higher! Last date is day they'll be auctioned. If you want more info let me know as I can check this quickly every now and again.
Adrian
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Cheers for that Adrian,
I'm not on the verge of purchasing, but intend to go and have a look at a few.
My favorite colours are the silver and the bright red.
If you look in the trader there are loads around, and a reasonable selection at around the 3K mark.
I also don't know if I were to ge tone, whether I should get an Hdi or a petrol....hmmmm....or a Turbo!
Dan