Multiple cars - what do you guys do for insurance?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Daniel B
My Cars:

Multiple cars - what do you guys do for insurance?

Post by Daniel B »

Hi all,
I notice a lot of you seem to have 2 or even more cars!
I am seriously thinking of buying a Xantia Derve or petrol estate, but am put off by the insurance qoutes I get of around £800!
Now I have another car, and I need to use the no claims on that one really, so the qoutes I have are with zero no claims, so I guess if I bite the bullet for a year, and am claim free, the amount should drop by 30% the following year.
For the record, I have a garage, I'm 27 years of age, and have never made a claim - so far.
So tell me, all you multiple car owners out there, how do you manage it?!
Cheers
Dan
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

Don't know for Uk, but presently, my cars are all insured on my Mom's name (due to driving licence age - 5 years - and my own age -> insurance companies byte young people's wallet over here!), wich, together with the house insurance, gets a kind off "usual client" discount.
Cheers!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Dan,
Xantias seem expensive to insure, sadly! I guess you will need to explain the situation to a broker and see what they come up with. I managed to get our second car insured with Direct Line in my wife's name and convinced them to give us full NCD as she has been on my insurance for a few (claim free) years. You might have to move your other car (BX 16V IIRC [;)]) to a low mileage classic policy and have the Xantia on the 'normal' one - unless you have a significant other you can insure one of them for....[8)]
It's all a rip off, but I got the Xantia FC will full NCD for £250 with Elephant, which was much better than the £520 renewal quote I had from Prudential[}:)]
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Hi again,
I tried to get my 16V (well remembered, did you used to have one?) on a classic policy 2 years ago, when I was on the verge of buying a cheap BX estate, but they wouldn't do it - tried several 'known' companies.
I do have a significant other, who is on my current policy, but she has zero no claims too :-(
ah well, insurance is legalised theft anyway, I'll just have to bite the bullet at some point.
Those Xantia estates on R/S/T/V plates are such stunning value, I can't get over it!
Dan
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

My BX is insured with the same company that insure my Ford. Although they are a Norwich Union company, their quote for fully comp was half that of 3pft with NU themselves. The answer to the question is that you pay and pay and pay. In my case, being 46 and not an accident magnet, about £720 a year. I'll have to sell the Ford...
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

my group 15 ZX 16v costs me jsut over £400 a year for 3rd party f+f with 4 years NCB and protected cover with Admiral. What I was amazed by before was when my Visa was on the road it only cost £330 without any NCB via adrian fluxes special vehicle insurance this is bearing in mind it is a totally stripped out and modified competition car with a bx 16v engine in but still cost so little. Wasnt going to argue though :) oh and im 27 now
mikgram

Post by mikgram »

I Would use your no claims bonus on the more expensive car and if the
other is just a run around insure it third party only .
I live in the Netherlands and have two cars but the company I use
for insurance gives me no claims on both.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Dan
Ask your current insurer to give you matched no claims on your 2nd car - otherwise get Lizzie to ring Diamond and get a quote in her name. If she states she's been driving her parents cars and your BX they should give a decent discount. Worked for Jane on the ZX Furio (1.8) which cost about £500 FC the 1st year!
Adrian
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

There were a couple of companies in the UK doing Family Fleet Policies although one or both may have dipped out. Last year I was quoted £1100 for Comp insurance on a 1.9TD Xant SX (95), 2.1TD Xant Exclusive (98) and 1.7TD BX Estate TZD (92. This was against individual prices of £300, £400 and £400 so what was the point. Perhaps it works out better with 4+ vehicles. This was for me and the mrs both 40+ both with full NCD.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

For several years I had both my cars insured with Churchill - but both on different policies. A minicab driver ran into the back of one, and when it came up for renewal, although I didn't lose the NCB, they did record the accident on my record. That was fair enough - but when they recorded the accident on both policy records, I objected. When they wouldn't see reason I took my second vehicle elsewhere.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Churchill allow me to run a nominated additional vehicle on my policy (same terms) for a maximum of 60 days per year, on a "pay-as-you-go" basis. It's probably been about £30 a month to do so (depending on the car), and has been useful when overcoming the odd problem that takes a while to sort out, or "debugging" a new purchase. I only insure 3rd party fire or theft in the first place though.
Of course you do need somewhere to store that "other" car though....
volcaneoptimist
My Cars:

Post by volcaneoptimist »

Wow!!! it's sure burn a deep hole in your pockets(that is if you have more than one) to insure your car these days from what I read. I recall when I was in the UK during the 70's, only paid about 50 quid a year on my Fiat 125, Fiat 128 and Mini Cooper. I was in Essex for 3 years and another 3 years in Bangor North Wales. My Mini cooper was sold for 350 quid with another six month insurance to run when I left UK for good. I am glad that in Malaysia, we pay very much less. For 3rd party coverage, the minimum premium is around RM80(equivalent to 12 quid) a year and max is RM145 without NCB. For comprehensive cover, it's dependant on the market value of your car. For example, a Ford Focus with a market value of 80k may attract a yearly premium of RM1200-1500 without NCB. How's that for comparison...... On the other hand, car prices are very much higher here. A VW Bettle cost around RM220k and a BMW 3 series priced between RM200-350k. Maybe it balanced out afterall. For Citoen ZX 1.9 & 2.0i series, the car were sold for about RM70k brand new some 5-10 years ago and these cars can still fetch RM13k-25k at current market price for used cars. About the same for Xantia, maybe a few k more depending on the upkeep.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Gee,
you guys really pay a lot for insurance.
To cover comprehensivly the following for me & my 24year old wife:
'85 CX 2500 GTi Turbo (which a turbo charged personal import out here)
'96 Xantia VSX
'63 ID19
all under the same 'multi-car' policy it's about 240quid a year. To pay what you guys do I'd have to sell the cars & ride my pushbike everywhere [:(!]
seeya,
Shane L.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Both the Xant and the BX cost about the same - £500/year ish. The Xant is in my name, the BX in the wifes. ANything else gets insured on a classic policy!
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Ouch - I have heard insurance is expensive in U.K. In little ol' New Zealand my BX costs $300 per year for full cover, my 1991 MX5 about the same and my wifes 2002 Nissan Maxima about $500 per year (about 170 pounds)